• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tumble Lubing

You are using way too much.
I place from 200-500 bullets in a glass casserole dish, set all bullets on their sides, squirt a LITTLE LLA on them and then shuffle/roll the bullets around. After about 30 seconds or so, I inspect to see if they are all shiny/wet looking. If not, I use a little more LLA. Nice being able to lube up to 500 bullets in less than 2 minutes.
When dry, you should not be able to see the lube on the bullet at all, other than possibly a very faint yellow/brown look. If you can clearly SEE the lube, you have used too much.
Next, let them dry for day or two. If you need bullet right now, you should have lubed them a day or two ago.
You can thin the lube or warm it up if you want. Naphtha and Mineral Spirits (real mineral spirits, not that green abomination) will work.
Xlox is LLA. I don't see how it can dry harder, unless you are comparing it to LLA that hasn't had time to really dry.

You are using way too much.
I place from 200-500 bullets in a glass casserole dish, set all bullets on their sides, squirt a LITTLE LLA on them and then shuffle/roll the bullets around. After about 30 seconds or so, I inspect to see if they are all shiny/wet looking. If not, I use a little more LLA. Nice being able to lube up to 500 bullets in less than 2 minutes.
When dry, you should not be able to see the lube on the bullet at all, other than possibly a very faint yellow/brown look. If you can clearly SEE the lube, you have used too much.
Next, let them dry for day or two. If you need bullet right now, you should have lubed them a day or two ago.
You can thin the lube or warm it up if you want. Naphtha and Mineral Spirits (real mineral spirits, not that green abomination) will work.
Xlox is LLA. I don't see how it can dry harder, unless you are comparing it to LLA that hasn't had time to really dry.
Thanks for your input. I realize now that I have been using way to much LLA. Jerry

it's the 45/45/10 formula that dries harder and faster... the X-lox is LLA as you stated.

for me the above formula is more accurate than straight LLA/X-lox

Jerry,
If you have a bunch of overlubed bullets, you can clean them off with spirits and start over, or you can coat them with either Mica or Talcum powder. I have used Talc (Johnsons Baby Powder) quite successfully recently on both .358's and .452's. Getting my 45/45/10 mix a bit more customized. I also had to learn less is better with LLA. (The 45/45/10 is 45% LLA, 45% Johnsons Paste Wax, and max 10% mineral spirits.) The mica or talc also keeps your gun powder from sticking to the bottom of your bullet. I used talc simply due to availablity and economics.
Regards,
Pete

Back
Top Bottom