• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tumbler vs. sonic cleaner

jman47

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
1   0
Reaction score
Can anybody add info on these 2 things? Looking at getting one and not real sure which to get.
Any good deals online for either of these or at a store?

As far as reloading goes, a sonic cleaner is next to useless for me. Tumbler is the easy choice for that application.

If you want to get cases super shiny and ultra clean, wet tumble with stainless pins is the route to go.

Used a sonic twice first and last time cleaned however left a film and the brass was off color dull.

Have a Big Dillon, tumbler it works great, so no sonic cleaner for me.

just my view on the subject...........

Reloading: Vibrating tumblers. Walnut media with a bit of Dillon polish paste and cases come out nice and clean.

Last edited:
Any views on what type of media people prefer. I know there is a bunch of choices out there for that. Any good deals on tumblers at stores in georgia or online?

I use all 3 major methods

Ultrasonic - Cleans the carbon off, but does little to make the brass pretty. Upside is that it can be used for cleaning guns also. Pretty quick

Dry tumbler - Cheap, cleans and polishes. Makes more mess, is louder and takes a while (hours)

Wet Tumbler - Usually more expensive (per capacity) but brings brass to the best shine, cleans primer pockets and is faster. Recommend a way to dry the brass or it kills the time savings

Corn cob/Walnut/lizard cage media in a dry tumbler is cheap and works for many. I don't like the dust it lets off, though so I prefer wet tumbling. If you want to explore wet tumbling...harbor freight rock tumbler $45, stainless pins $20, dawn dish soap and LemiShine $4. Cleanest brass you've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom