• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tumbler vs. sonic cleaner

I remember just brushing off the carbon and reloading the case. Bench rest shooters did it routinely. They re-loaded on the range.

Pretty brass, yep I like it too. I have a big frigging vibratory cleaner that will clean close to a 1000 rounds of 9mm with ease. Walnut media last longer than cobb. I get thousands upon thousands of rounds polished looking pretty and just toss a cap of "nu-finish" and a snip of dryer sheet to keep the dust down.

I had a tumbler and used it for a few years. I gave it away as it was too small. If I tumbled with pins I'd make a 5 gallon tumbler or use a cement mixer.

Pins hands down make the prettiest brass. But does it shoot better?

Last edited:
I have never read one review that said 5 lbs of pins were not enough for a tumbler of this size. Please share one if you can find one,

I am not being a "Nay Sayer" or "Attempting to Rain on Anyone's Parade" ... just stating my own experience

And "based on my own experience": which was "a Pound (of media) per Pound (of brass)"
This is less than the typical specialty supplier says, but seemed to work well for me.
I do know that there must be sufficient water present, as well a media, and that a 7 liter container (just over 1 gallon) would be quite close to full
when loaded with 1k of .223 brass alone ...

Keep in mind, only your own experience will lead you to the correct answer for yourself.

Typical Supplier Recommendation (they are selling media):
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tips/

I was well pleased with the actual results of wet tumbling, as I am certain that you will as well.
I gave it up simply because I didn't like the effort that went into dealing with up to 50# (I had a 3+ Gallon Tumbler) of
brass, tiny pins all over the place, and filthy water.

BTW: Somewhere back, I posted my entire experience with building and using a wet tumbler.
This included reference to an actual manufacturer of the SS Pins, who sold them in minimum (25#?)
lots for a significant discount over the going rate of ~$40 per 5# bag. Also, my chemical bath formula was a
af tablespoon of Citric Acid, to a 1/4 teaspoon of He Tide, per gallon of water. Worked well, with not a whole lot of sudsing.
Sudsing works to kill the effectiveness of the wet tumbler!

I've been a SS wet tumbler for 3 yeats now. The results are spectacular, as others have said. I use a Thumlers model B hi speed. I typically tumble 4-5 pounds of cases per batch. Recipe is one ounce auto wash and wax and 1/4 TSP Lemi-Shine. Here are some pics. The fan is on the Thumlers as the temp in lthe garage that day was in excess of 100 degrees:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom