• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey Hunting - Guide or Just Try It?

The crew are here now the rest are behind them, about 14 total
Turkeyboys.jpg

I have never been turkey hunting. Is this something for which you, if you had no experience, would want to hire a guide your first time or two, or is it something to just go out and try and hope for the best?

Any recommendations for guides?
Do you have somewhere to hunt that has turkeys on it? When I started turkey hunting we had birds that had never been hunted. A bunch of them. Me and a buddy learned from our mistakes. And we made a bunch of them. We did watch some of the old school videos. We picked up some useful tips. Videos these days aren’t very realistic to the way you should hunt. The first thing you should do is get a box call and learn how to use it. One word of advice, sometimes the best call to make is no call at all.

Do you have somewhere to hunt that has turkeys on it? When I started turkey hunting we had birds that had never been hunted. A bunch of them. Me and a buddy learned from our mistakes. And we made a bunch of them. We did watch some of the old school videos. We picked up some useful tips. Videos these days aren’t very realistic to the way you should hunt. The first thing you should do is get a box call and learn how to use it. One word of advice, sometimes the best call to make is no call at all.
Truth. I struck one Sunday and put down my call as soon as he gobbled. He was probably only 80 yards from me. All I did after that was scratch the leaves. He would gobble when he heard that every time. Of course he didn't come in but I think he had hens with him. That's worked for me a few times. On public land they get real call shy. Start calling too much and they'll run the other way. I've tried every tactic so far this year with no luck. I'm not throwing in the towel yet though.

Just a thought, when I hunted birds I tried to see where they were roosting the night before. I have used the truck horn the night before and they respond sometimes, if not I used a Owl call. Set a plan of attack for the following morning..Also first rule of hunting, use Permethrin on your close only, no skin contact..Also don't sit without the Permethrin..Good luck!

Just a thought, when I hunted birds I tried to see where they were roosting the night before. I have used the truck horn the night before and they respond sometimes, if not I used a Owl call. Set a plan of attack for the following morning..Also first rule of hunting, use Permethrin on your close only, no skin contact..Also don't sit without the Permethrin..Good luck!
I don’t even try to roost them anymore. They don’t gobble much in the evening on our club now. 20 years ago I could stand on a ridge overlooking a mile or two of river bottom and hear a dozen birds up and down the river going to roost

Back
Top Bottom