• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey hunting.

S Sonofodin Your zip shows Marietta, @Adamjen15 isn't too far from you, he knows alot of wma land up yalls side of town.

As a beginner one of the best calls you can get is a push button style call. You can do most calls on it. A slate call is a good starter pot call, once you've figured it out a glass or crystal call is good too. In my vest I carry a variety of 5 or 6 strikers, a slate call, glass call, a diaphragm call and wingbone. Some guys carry more some guys carry less.

If you're ever out east ga and hunt Redlands hit me up, I've got a couple good spots to get in on down there. Not sure of your work schedule but I'll be there Wednesday morning, if you want to join just let me know.

Redland? Where exactly is that at? Depending how far I could maybe swing that

I had a bird last weekend that I called to for an hour that wouldn’t come in. I changed positions and within 2 calls I seen him coming down the ridge straight for me. He went behind a clump of trees and I never seen that bird again! WTH! Vanished like a fart in the wind!

Redland? Where exactly is that at? Depending how far I could maybe swing that
the part of it I'll be on is off ga hwy 15 in Greene County just outside of Greensboro. You'll wanna wear some walking boots. A guaranteed walk of 1.5 miles to get to the spot. They should be gobbling good this week with hens starting to break off good for nesting combined with the weather.

Back in the day we didnt have all the newest technology and we still killed a lot of birds.

Good woodsmanship always has and always will kill more birds than all of
the new-fangled, and cumbersome gadgetry that we carry in our vests.
OP, less is more. Carry less, call less, slow way down when you walk. If you can cluck and purr, you can call birds in. Also, when you think you’ve set up on a bird and called to him long enough, sit for 30 more minutes and don’t make a single call.

A couple of mouth calls, box call, and maybe a pot is all you really need. I use a crow call to locate if I’m trying to move around a bird and need to confirm he is still where he is supposed to be. Other than that you are good. 24 is right, don’t get hosed by the infomercial hunting shows.

Figure out how to make that mouth call fit. If there is to much air passing over it, it’s sounds horrible. After that watch the rest of the series to learn the sounds.

LEARN THE CADENCE!!!! I’ve heard many hens that sound horrible, but the cadence is always the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom