Turkey numbers still in the tank

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
https://www.gon.com/hunting/2020-turkey-special-no-rebound-for-turkeys

So when is the hunt "done" for you?. I've heard more than one good, and I mean REALLY good, turkey hunter say, the hunt is over when he's out smarted the old tom and has him in his sights. Pulling the trigger is irrelevant at that point.

In 6 years, the harvest has dropped in half. :(

This year may not be the worst year to reconsider when the hunt is 'done'.

The hunt was "done" for 3 long beards in our camp this weekend. I was not there but got the good news from those who were.

I see zero on my property, neighbor says he holds some birds. I may, may see 1-2 on camera in late Spring.
Maybe it is the predator population, nest raiders including Coons, possum, crows etc.

Heard a couple yesterday morning way off, didn't see one. Hoping I get to see at least one of these before the season ends though.........
20200228_180139.jpg
20200228_180209.jpg

Bring limit to (1) for five years get the population back big.
Likely true. Sadly, stewardship is absent from most 'hunters'. The 'thrill of the kill' is still what far too many hunt for. Turkeys are infinitely more sensitive biologically than many other game animals. Their sensitive to aflatoxins for example is well documented. Yet.....

Hunters are quick, VERY quick, to call for the government to fix our perceived problems. Yet in reality, WE are the biggest, best, and most effective wildlife management tool in Georgia. Ga DNR has given us increasing flexibility both in terms of limits and season dates in most species in Georgia yet some view limits as a 'challenge'. I get a small minority of people feed their families from venison and filling out a liberal limit serves them well. The average 'successful' deer hunter in Georgia takes less than 2 deer per year. They wouldn't take 12 if they could (and many could). Yet how many turkey hunters wouldn't pass on 3 toms if you paid them. And many of them just 'breast' the bird.... or worse.

I don't know why the health of the turkey flock is viewed so casually by those who profess to be so passionate about them. I hope we all don't one day remember back on these as "the good old days".

I've seen them (turkeys) at the gun club in the past, but that was before the dogs and coyotes started roaming the property. Might be time to authorize a "night shoot."

Back
Top Bottom