• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey numbers still in the tank

I've seen them (turkeys) at the gun club in the past, but that was before the dogs and coyotes started roaming the property. Might be time to authorize a "night shoot."
If turkey hunters put in as much effort shooting 3 coyotes, as they did shooting 3 turkeys, we'd see some real improvement in all game animals.

I don’t see where adjusting limit changes anything,one gobbler can service 10 hens.
I agree to a point, which is why I said it's up to hunters to manage game once the facts are known. If he's the only gobbler in those woods, and you shoot him as your 1st OR 3rd, zero hens will get bred on that property.
In a total of a dozen years, I've had literally hundreds of pictures of hens (including one bearded), and ONE gobbler on my property.
For that reason, I don't turkey hunt my property. Some would have gotten excited and tried to kill him. I'm unaware of anyone hunting in close proximity to my property but the numbers are way down.

I agree to a point, which is why I said it's up to hunters to manage game once the facts are known. If he's the only gobbler in those woods, and you shoot him as your 1st OR 3rd, zero hens will get bred on that property.
In a total of a dozen years, I've had literally hundreds of pictures of hens (including one bearded), and ONE gobbler on my property.
For that reason, I don't turkey hunt my property. Some would have gotten excited and tried to kill him. I'm unaware of anyone hunting in close proximity to my property but the numbers are way down.
I understand, I hunted a field back in 2013 had a mature bird with a heirloom of 9 hens (1 being bearded which I knew was same group) I killed that bird and 3 days later they had another mature gobbler with them.buy the end of season me and my partner limited out from that heirloom of hens.i have not seen any poults in three years.which makes me believe the nest are getting invaded.

I was happy to see a few birds on camera when I checked it late today.

73A8FD5A-D173-4A6D-84AB-57E07D4AEF70.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom