• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey Thread of 2015

The Ocmulgee WMA trip was great, called in a hen Sunday morning. Seen several hens out scouting and busted two on roost walking in to set up(oops). No Gobbles heard though.. Place had way more hunters than last year for a quota hunt.

Here is one of the breast after being brined for three hours then smoked wrapped with bacon.
uploadfromtaptalk1427852013847.jpg

Friday morning went a lot better than I expected. I wasnt able to put a bird on the ground, but at about 710 two gobblers started sounding off to a couple of hens less than 100 yards from me. I tired calling them but had no luck. They gobbled back to all my calls, but kept following the hens. That group went down into a creek bottom. I waited about 30 minutes then got up to try and get in front of them. I sat back down about where I thought they were headed and started calling. They took turns gobbling back but kept going away from me. I sat still for about another hour and listened to them walk away. About 10 minutes before I was about to move again, I heard another hen behind me maybe 75 to 100 yards. She had a gobbler hot on her tail. I listened to them basically walk a big circle around me for 30 minutes, then nothing. They shut up and I never heard them again.

Saturday morning was basically a repeat of friday morning just in a different spot. I moved closer to where I hear them on Friday morning, but yet again it sounded like they were walking circles around me with hens. I was exciting to hear the gobbling finally. Sunday was a downpour and I never heard a bird.

Quiet on all fronts for me so far....haven't been able to get out as much as I would like. Took care of the house and lawn so I should be able to hit the woods this weekend.

Quiet on all fronts for me so far....haven't been able to get out as much as I would like. Took care of the house and lawn so I should be able to hit the woods this weekend.
Good luck to you. I went out Wednesday morning and didn't hear anything. I think I may have spooked a bird around 830ish when I saw a fresh track in a huge ant mound. The ants were just starting to pour out of the track so I figured he heard me walking in. This weekend should be good for you, I am jealous. I will be at work wishing I was in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom