• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey tip

howl

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
The most common noise turkey hunters make is an imitation of the yelp. This is nonsensical because the yelp means "Here I am!" in turkey speak and the last thing you want a gobbler to know is your exact location. The gobble also means "Here I am!" You get a gobbler standing in one spot telling you where he is and you start telling him where you are, but nobody says "Come here!" or "I'm a-comin'!"

The calls a turkeys make that say "Come here!" are clucks and cutts. Trouble is cutting gets worn out real fast and clucks are application-specific. And I ain't typing all that!

Magazine? That's what I get for being generous. Just think how many turkeys you'd have killed if you actually knew how to talk to one! Or had a good box call so you could cutt and cluck on it...

I do cutt and cluck on it.I`ve killed many others on slate,also.Matter of fact,sometimes I hunt with an old friend, in Tennessee,a retired game warden who also guides.He has a rep of being one of the best,and has killed gobblers about 50 years+.He got a popular female country singer a bird,in a driving rain,in one day,after none of the other guides she hired could do it.Sometimes we hunt together,sometimes separate.When together,we take turns calling.He`s said many times that my old Lynch,with one good side to it,is the best-sounding box call he has ever heard.This friend has made me 3 handmade calls,but still can`t get them as good as my old Lynch.Says so himself.Each to his own opinion.I`ve hunted 60 years,learned a little,and use that learning to my advantage.Each to his own.I wish you a successful season.BTW,the reason the Lynch has one good side is due to my stupidity.I "modified"the "hen"side,`til it sounds like a varmint call.Now,the "gobbler"side is wore down to a fine hen call,especially the yelps.

Last edited:
Good tip! I agree with you 100%. The worst turkey call I ever heard was from a turkey hen! I thought it was some idiot with a broken box call until she walked 10 yards in front of me! That ol' gal taught me alot because as soon as she was about 30 yards behind me ole Tom came strolling in right behind her! That is the only time I ever let someone else call in a gobbler for me! 7" beard and 22 pounds of pure excitement!

Back
Top Bottom