Turkey 1.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Turkey 2.jpeg
    Turkey 2.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 104
  • Turkey 3.jpeg
    Turkey 3.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 105
I don't know what has happened to our turkeys. We use to have 15-20 males/females year round for the past few years. Wife and I always look forward to seeing the Tom's strut around each spring. Have not seen a single bird since last November. Has me concerned that we may have lost all our birds to predators or disease in my part of N. GA mountains. Anyone else having the same experience?
Turkey numbers have been on decline in North Ga for last 15 yrs 3 reasons 1 anywhere u have high number of poultry farms and they are spreading chicken litter on on fields for fertilizer turkeys can contract what is know as Blackhead disease can look up on Southeastern wildlife disease center site 2 on USFS land lack diversity within the Habitat no timber to got have young growth areas of clear cuts for nesting cover & bugging for young birds & 3 high numbers of Nest Predators coons hogs bears you name it turkeys on the menu from egg till growing. Anywhere u have numbers of poultry farms turkeys poplutation had really went down.

Turkey numbers have been on decline in North Ga for last 15 yrs 3 reasons 1 anywhere u have high number of poultry farms and they are spreading chicken litter on on fields for fertilizer turkeys can contract what is know as Blackhead disease can look up on Southeastern wildlife disease center site 2 on USFS land lack diversity within the Habitat no timber to got have young growth areas of clear cuts for nesting cover & bugging for young birds & 3 high numbers of Nest Predators coons hogs bears you name it turkeys on the menu from egg till growing. Anywhere u have numbers of poultry farms turkeys poplutation had really went down.

Interesting information. I did see a few new chicken houses go up near us in the last three years. Locals are using litter to dress their pastures too. Dang!

All we can do as hunters is our small part
Dog proof coon traps and tiny marshmallows will bring them nest robbers in check quick . I know that no one eats coon and opossums much anymore since the EBT card went mainstream and life is good BUT i will kill every one i can and feed my local buzzards before i sit and do nothing but complain about no turkeys or a decline in numbers . It is discrete and effective !! Go get ya some and get to it because these state agencies dont care
Sorry for my rant

I have very few turkeys which surprises me. I took out six coon and six possum this winter. Will continue to try to kill Coyotes.

interesting about poultry farms and litter.

Back
Top Bottom