• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turning an 870 Wingmaster hunting shotgun into a home defense weapon

Just cut a 410 barrel a couple weeks ago....watched several YouTube videos beforehand. Used a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade...32 tpi...and a hose clamp as a guide to get a straight cut. Finished with a file and emery paper. Found a small square gizmo at Home Depot that was perfect for measuring a square cut. Couple coats of cold blue and it looks pretty good for a first attempt. It was NOT a vent rib barrel.

I would not use any power tool as this is a slow precision job, unless you had access to a commercial band saw to do a professional cut. Saw a lot of die grinder buggered up cuts on yt.

Pretty much how I do it by hand. A buddy of mine has a full machine shop, I prefer to go over there when I have the time. Cut the barrel off in the band saw and face it square in the lathe.

Pretty much how I do it by hand. A buddy of mine has a full machine shop, I prefer to go over there when I have the time. Cut the barrel off in the band saw and face it square in the lathe.
Buddy with machine shop should have a milling machine like a Bridgeport. Cut off a little longer. A button indicator, mill it and your done. You will have to deburr the Id and od and reblue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Buddy with machine shop should have a milling machine like a Bridgeport. Cut off a little longer. A button indicator, mill it and your done. You will have to deburr the Id and od and reblue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve used that method as well. It’s easier for me to get on the lathe in his shop than the mill, as the mill is usually tied up on a job. The lathe is available more often.

I couldn’t use a tubing cutter because the barrel in that section was tapered.

I cut it off with a fine hacksaw, and used a square to get everything nice and even all the way around. I used progressively finer files, then stones, and finished up with emery.
What choke was on the barrel originally and, was the cut down far enough to make it a cylinder bore?
I’m thinking of doing this with a mod choke barrel.

What choke was on the barrel originally and, was the cut down far enough to make it a cylinder bore?
I’m thinking of doing this with a mod choke barrel.

It was originally Improved Cylinder, which has a nominal measurement of .72”. It is now .734”, which is Cylinder.

Turns out the sight came in last week and I didn’t know it. TruGlo Universal Fiber-Optic Sight for Defensive Shotgun. I’m diggin’ it. Inexpensive and easy to install; just snaps onto a plain barrel. They also make version for vent rib barrels.

The front edge of the sight has a “V” cut into it to “lock” into and center on the factory bead. Since this barrel doesn’t have a bead anymore, I will be using a dab of 2-part epoxy to keep it centered and in-place. It snaps onto the barrel so firmly that this may not be necessary, but I’m a belt and suspenders kinda guy.
84945E01-39AC-4E72-AD40-56CE7745A633.jpeg

10A60748-71E6-4EF7-A8C1-CA05173436EC.jpeg

Another method to help find down recoil is to have a barrel backbored and the forcing cones lengthened. Not only will it take out a little recoil, it will tighten up shot patterns. This is something that can benefit both sporting and defensive shotguns. Here’s some more info on this, along with some shot patterns to show the difference.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...different-barrel-lengths-and-options.1457681/

Another method to help find down recoil is to have a barrel backbored and the forcing cones lengthened. Not only will it take out a little recoil, it will tighten up shot patterns. This is something that can benefit both sporting and defensive shotguns. Here’s some more info on this, along with some shot patterns to show the difference.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...different-barrel-lengths-and-options.1457681/

Don't forget Porting--Contrary to some people's opinions, it really DOES WORK...

Back
Top Bottom