• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turret Settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, it a 5.56 MSR with a Nikon P223 scope. BDC reticle.
Okay. The turret increments are 1/4 MOA on that scope. The BDC reticle is calibrated for the 55 grain mil spec 5.56 ammo.

I believe the scope is designed to be zeroed at the center cross-hair for 100 yards and then, when the scope is at max magnification, the additional circular marks that descend from the center point represent the proper hold over for 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. In descending order. No turret adjustment is needed if this is your method for hold over. With that said, those hold overs are typically far from precise, but they should get you in the ballpark.

For precision shooting you will need to learn the actual trajectory of the round you are shooting in your particular rifle and then translate that into turret adjustments to compensate for bullet drop and wind drift. This is where you start learning the basic skills of a precision long range shooter.

Then you get to start taking into account varying atmospheric conditions and then... and then... and then... The skills set of a precision rifleman is basically never ending in it's application and growth.

Okay. The turret increments are 1/4 MOA on that scope. The BDC reticle is calibrated for the 55 grain mil spec 5.56 ammo.

I believe the scope is designed to be zeroed at the center cross-hair for 100 yards and then, when the scope is at max magnification, the additional circular marks that descend from the center point represent the proper hold over for 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. In descending order. No turret adjustment is needed if this is your method for hold over. With that said, those hold overs are typically far from precise, but they should get you in the ballpark.

For precision shooting you will need to learn the actual trajectory of the round you are shooting in your particular rifle and then translate that into turret adjustments to compensate for bullet drop and wind drift. This is where you start learning the basic skills of a precision long range shooter.

Then you get to start taking into account varying atmospheric conditions and then... and then... and then... The skills set of a precision rifleman is basically never ending in it's application and growth.

Bear, you have me mistaken with a sniper. LOL. It's good to see that the scope instructions are backed up by someone that really knows. I don't think the shooting I'll be doing would be affected much by barometric pressure, as 200-300 yds would probably be my max. Like Cadcom said, I can't see that far, anyways. True, the scope is designed for 55 gr. I think I'll need some range time to DOPE the scope for various ammo.

My main question was, do you set your turrets at 0 or at the yardage you zeroed it in at. I guess it was a pretty stupid question to begin with.

By the way, our own cmshoot cmshoot is very skilled at this and teaches a course that covers a lot of this information. That would give you a very good running start at becoming good at this.

Bear, you have me mistaken with a sniper. LOL. It's good to see that the scope instructions are backed up by someone that really knows. I don't think the shooting I'll be doing would be affected much by barometric pressure, as 200-300 yds would probably be my max. Like Cadcom said, I can't see that far, anyways. True, the scope is designed for 55 gr. I think I'll need some range time to DOPE the scope for various ammo.

My main question was, do you set your turrets at 0 or at the yardage you zeroed it in at. I guess it was a pretty stupid question to begin with.
No it wasn't. Most of the time when you are zero setting your turrets, you place them at zero for the range you are zeroed at, then make all other adjustments based on that zero. Zero range should be zero on the turret. My 338 Lapua is zeroed at 500 yards and my turret shows zero for that range.

Go here and play around. It will help figure out the hold overs for different ammo using the BDC. Don't forget you can change magnification to get different values and enter the proper sight height.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/hunting-spoton/index.page

Scroll down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom