• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TV screen fix? UPDATE!

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
65   0
Reaction score
I have a 55" Insignia led tv from best buy and the screen just suddenly went dark. Looking at it up close and from an angle I can still slightly see the display, but just barely. The sound works fine.

So my first question is, what could be causing this? My second question, if someone knows the answer to the first, is this something I could fix myself and how hard/expensive would it be to do so?

Before someone suggests it, I'm already planning to go buy a new tv. I just want to know if I can do anything to fix this one so I dont have to just throw it out.

It sounds like either your backlight died, or the board controlling it did. If your a techie you can try replacing it yourself, but if you have to pay someone to do it you might as well just junk it and start over. Unless it's still under warranty, of course.

The backlight has quit on you. There's a 98% chance it's the inverter board if it's using CFL (not LED).

Depending on how old it is, you might be able to get the board replaced for around $150.

I'd try and check it out if I was you.

When ours died I figured what the hell and opened it up on the kitchen table.
I didn't have to look far when I saw a capacitor that was blown up, black stuff on top of it ....
I read some numbers off of it to my brother which does two way radio repair.

Two days later an Amazon box show's up and there's 5 of them in there.
I'm not much for soldering, but I did the job and it's still working ....

Was less than $20 for the parts ....

BTW: Same thing, I had audio...

I'd try and check it out if I was you.

When ours died I figured what the hell and opened it up on the kitchen table.
I didn't have to look far when I saw a capacitor that was blown up, black stuff on top of it ....
I read some numbers off of it to my brother which does two way radio repair.

Two days later an Amazon box show's up and there's 5 of them in there.
I'm not much for soldering, but I did the job and it's still working ....

Was less than $20 for the parts ....

BTW: Same thing, I had audio...

I like your approach biker_bill biker_bill . What's the worst that can happen? It's already jacked up anyway. Fix that ****!!

I like your approach biker_bill biker_bill . What's the worst that can happen? It's already jacked up anyway. Fix that ****!!

I've found that if something looks broken I have better than 1/2 a chance to fix it.
Fortunately something looked broken, because I don't know squat about that oscilloscope!

I dont have any idea what I'm looking at or what is what. Nothing looks bad or burnt up or anything as far as I can tell.

20170321_145603.jpg

Look to see if any transistors are swollen.. My plasma had swollen ones switched them out and now it works great.

Also it seems to me there should be more components then just what you took a picture of... it could be just me though

Look to see if any transistors are swollen.. My plasma had swollen ones switched them out and now it works great.

Also it seems to me there should be more components then just what you took a picture of... it could be just me though

As far as I can tell, everything looks normal. And thats the entire back of the tv, seeing any more components would require me taking it apart further which I'm not looking to try.

Back
Top Bottom