• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Two Colt “m-16’s” for sale in Macon...and opinions about ownership

Or, he was being used to set people up.

Think about the situation.

If it was stolen (doubtful, because folks generally don’t leave something like that laying around for meth heads to grab,) why would the sear be missing?

I doubt someone like that would even know what it was-much less how to remove it.

It was a bait gun. Exactly like the one the dealer told me about. A sear makes less knowledgeable people ask questions, a hole doesn’t. I’m sure the ATF uses a gun like that many times, in many situations.

I 100% guarantee that was a setup. Very fortunate you didn’t bite.

Just because you knew this kid’s background doesn’t mean he isn’t being used in a sting.

I’m not trying to be critical, I’m just saying this is a good illustration of why folks need to be careful, Setups and stings really do happen. I have seen 3 pin AKs on gunbroker. I have seen ads for illegal drop in auto sears. Used to be one in shotgun news every issue.

Yeah, it was an odd scenario for sure. I didn't ask any questions lol. I thought about it and passed. I've just never forgotten about it bc to me it's a weapon with a lot of historical value and just plain cool.

Yeah, it was an odd scenario for sure. I didn't ask any questions lol. I thought about it and passed. I've just never forgotten about it bc to me it's a weapon with a lot of historical value and just plain cool.

Definitely cool.

I wish things were different, but it is what it is. Folks need to really know that the feds don’t play games with NFA stuff. Regardless of administration, it’s always been on their **** list. For them, those type convictions are easy and simple.

With my luck, I'd buy one and a law would suddenly get passed stating it's illegal to own one. ala Bump Stock conversations. Turn them in now (for free) and you won't be a criminal.

With my luck, I'd buy one and a law would suddenly get passed stating it's illegal to own one. ala Bump Stock conversations. Turn them in now (for free) and you won't be a criminal.

That is a big concern for me.

For a couple grand, it would be cool to own something FA, but at these prices, nope.

I fully expect that they will be banned one day. The govt knows exactly where they are, and all they need to do is modify the NFA.

Just look at the history of NFA stuff. First, they were totally legal to own. Old ones were grandfathered. Then, you had to register all of them and pay the tax. Then new ones couldn't be manufactured for sale to civilians. What's the next step?

There definitely is a risk of a total ban and confiscation. Someone shoots up a mall or a school, or whatever with one and I think a ban will happen fast as you can blink.

90% of the general public thinks these are illegal already.

Throwing a few hundred at suppressors, OK. Dropping 30 or 50 or 80 grand on something that can (and will) be confiscated is not a risk I am interested in taking.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

All gun laws are an infringement — Sad that “We The People” let it come this far — The appeasement ball got rolling and has never stopped — Each generation thereafter less aware of the infractions and accepting of the next degree

Anyone deviating from the unconstitutional status quo is criminalized by a subjugated society that doesn’t know the truth and wouldn’t care if they did - It is truly pathetic — Makes me want to puke

When someone that's had "police contact" offers you something shady? It's a trap. If they are successful, they get a free pass or probation instead of jail time. if you never trust anything else I say, trust me on this.

It was my brother's neighbor's son. If it was a trap, it kind of pisses me off that he'd try it on someone that he knows. But then again, I guess anything goes when you're trying to catch a break from the DA...

I had a friend (long time off and on GF) who had a son get in trouble. He entrapped snitched on a few of his friends to avoid jail. I told him not to do it as I thought he'd wind up in jail anyway and it be better to not go with rep as a snitch. LOL.

That is a big concern for me.

For a couple grand, it would be cool to own something FA, but at these prices, nope.

I fully expect that they will be banned one day. The govt knows exactly where they are, and all they need to do is modify the NFA.

Just look at the history of NFA stuff. First, they were totally legal to own. Old ones were grandfathered. Then, you had to register all of them and pay the tax. Then new ones couldn't be manufactured for sale to civilians. What's the next step?

There definitely is a risk of a total ban and confiscation. Someone shoots up a mall or a school, or whatever with one and I think a ban will happen fast as you can blink.

90% of the general public thinks these are illegal already.

Throwing a few hundred at suppressors, OK. Dropping 30 or 50 or 80 grand on something that can (and will) be confiscated is not a risk I am interested in taking.

Welcome to America! Supply and demand . With risk comes reward! In 1987 you could buy new M16’s for $1800 - I Year after the law went into effect. Everyone was afraid the law would change. It didn’t. From my point of view, transferable MG’s are shrinking in number and there will not be a new supply. The lawmakers plan in 1986 is working, so why would law makers spend a lot of time or money doing anything else to a ‘law’. There is no political clout or $’s to gain so who wants to bother with it?
MG’s are continually increasing in value, at a better rate than any other firearm, including Colt Pythons and your ‘custom’ glocks, gold or automobiles- but people shove money at that all day long. Transferable MG’s continue to do so, like vintage / low supply anything else. They are desirable too, as enthusiasts enjoy shooting them.
Great investment if it will appreciate in value, have a cool factor, be a lot of fun (especially the way you can adapt a m16 lower to other things, like different calibers and even belt fed) and be something you can pass on to family.

But please remember that the purpose for the post was to let anyone who is looking for one know there are two out there. Not sure how it developed into a debate or opinion ‘corner’, on “why I wouldn’t buy a transferable MG” but it did. LOL. I guess that’s just ODT and why we love it!!!
I will change the title

Welcome to America! Supply and demand . With risk comes reward! In 1987 you could buy new M16’s for $1800 - I Year after the law went into effect. Everyone was afraid the law would change. It didn’t. From my point of view, transferable MG’s are shrinking in number and there will not be a new supply. The lawmakers plan in 1986 is working, so why would law makers spend a lot of time or money doing anything else to a ‘law’. There is no political clout or $’s to gain so who wants to bother with it?
MG’s are continually increasing in value, at a better rate than any other firearm, including Colt Pythons and your ‘custom’ glocks, gold or automobiles- but people shove money at that all day long. Transferable MG’s continue to do so, like vintage / low supply anything else. They are desirable too, as enthusiasts enjoy shooting them.
Great investment if it will appreciate in value, have a cool factor, be a lot of fun (especially the way you can adapt a m16 lower to other things, like different calibers and even belt fed) and be something you can pass on to family.

But please remember that the purpose for the post was to let anyone who is looking for one know there are two out there. Not sure how it developed into a debate or opinion ‘corner’, on “why I wouldn’t buy a transferable MG” but it did. LOL. I guess that’s just ODT and why we love it!!!
I will change the title

Sorry for my part of the hijack!

I go to Harry's every now and then when I have money to burn, I'm not far from there. A few years ago I walked in and he had a Colt M16 on the wall. Someone had picked it up and balked (think OMG WTF) at the then $17K sticker. I was thinking it wasn't a bad price. So it's easy to see they're a good investment, in 5ish years, give or take, his price has almost doubled.

Back
Top Bottom