• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Two guns ONLY, ever

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
An anti-gun writer named Doug Pennington recently wrote for SLATE that he thinks the Second Amendment should be interpreted to only allow Americans to own two guns. Ever. In their life.
The illustration accompanying the article shows one sporting rifle, and one pistol. The body of the article gets more specific-- he challenges the readers with "How many firearms does the average American need to competently defend her residence? For whom would, say, a 10-shot semi-automatic pistol and a six-round 12-gauge pump action shotgun not suffice for home defense?"

But of course the writer forgets that "home defense" isn't the only reason to have guns.
But since it's the core of the Second Amendment, per the Heller and McDonald decisions from the U.S. Supreme Court, he's OK with putting limit of 2 guns per person, and the only exceptions for that may be granted for business use. People who run ranches that may want to supply firearms to their ranch hands. Professional hunting guides who may loan guns to their clients. Owners of a private security guard service. But for regular people, it's a two-gun limit.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ould-protect-americans-lives-and-liberty.html

So, if this were fully put into effect, and you weren't going to fight it and start a war or revolution (just assume that, for the purposes of this thread)...

.. what two guns would you pick?

Wait... let's make this less personal. Instead of what 2 guns YOU'D PICK for YOURSELF, with your own habits, hobbies, interests, and life experiences in mind, what two guns would you recommend for some other person, not currently a gun owner, but would like to be. Somebody who will take training classes and get coaching from an instructor, and take it seriously. Let's say the budget is limited to "reasonably priced, in the mainstream of the price range" guns.

LET'S ASSUME the person in question doesn't know yet what shooting disciplines or sports might interest him the most. He wants to get two guns that will be suitable for the largest range of sporting uses and tactical / defensive uses.

HOWEVER, one of those purposes won't be carrying a gun out in public.
Let's assume that lefties like this SLATE writer have banned carrying guns daily for personal protection, while leaving handgun ownership OK, and approving of keeping a defensive handgun in your car, your camper or RV, at home, etc. In other words, you won't be wearing it, so weight and size don't matter so much.

my recommendations for some hypothetical Mr. Average American who wants to be a gun owner in this new "two guns only" society:

1-- Semi-automatic .308 rifle that uses detachable box magazines. If he likes paramilitary guns, something like a Springfield M1A, or an AR-10. If he likes sporting-looking guns, then a Remington 740 / 7400, also in .308. There are 10-round aftermarket mags for this model, and the 760/ 7600 pump action too.

2- Full sized 9mm pistol, either striker-fired or SA/ DA trigger system, that uses full capacity magazines. Preferably 15-18 rounds in each mag, or whatever the legal limit is at this hypothetical future time. I'd suggest the 5" barrel models for best accuracy and recoil control. Probably with a RMR optic, but at least with large and colorful sights, easy to see under all lighting conditions.

No shotgun. Not if this person is limited to 2 guns, and wants to maximize his opportunities to go shooting often and play different shooting games and enter various types of matches.

P.S. If rimfire conversion kits don't count as "firearms" themselves under this new hypothetical legal scheme that Pennington is envisioning, then I'd switch my recommendation from a .308 rifle to a .223 rifle for that reason. And both the rifle and the handgun would have such .22LR conversion kits for them. I'd choose the guns based on the availability of rimfire conversion kits.

on the other hand, if extra barrels don't count as "firearms" and only the frames or receivers do, maybe the best option would be a shotgun and a handgun.

The shotgun could have a long, fully rifled barrel to shoot saboted slugs accurately out to 200 yards. That's your big game hunting gun. They have barrels with a cantilever scope base built onto the barrel.

Same gun's frame with a vent ribbed smoothbore barrel with a set of choke tubes takes care of all your bird hunting and small game hunting needs, predator control around your house and yard, and pretty much any other shooting done within 40 yards.

Same gun's frame with an 18" smoothbore tactical / slug barrel that has a light or laser unit attached to it, and there's your home defense gun.

That shotgun with its 3 barrel set is the only long gun most people would need for most purposes. So that, and the handgun described above, would be a good set.

Are we going semi-theoretical here? As in any firearm produced currently.

If so I am going with something like an M240 and a Mk19.

Between the two I could take care of anything from short range to long range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine the scenario, and you will be screaming at your close ones, such as the Wifee, "Grab one rifle Babe!!" , so, I believe this would sort it out quite good:
1) Long Range .308
2) 223/5.56 AR
3)WASR-10 AK47 - 7.62X39
4) Semi-Auto Shotgun
5) Pump Shotgun
6) Different calibers of handguns
And plenty of ammo!

Can't do it JUST with two!!

Back
Top Bottom