• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UFO diorama ** update** 1st place trophy at Houston Modelmania 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.
261   0
Reaction score
:first:Quick update*** The UFO diorama took 1st place in the diorama category at Modelmania in Houston Texas.
Video coverage of the event. My model shows up at 6:09

DSCN1275.JPG
DSCN1289.JPG
DSCN1283.JPG
DSCN1282.JPG
DSCN1284.JPG

Here's another UFO diorama I recently finished. The figure is in HO scale so it would be that scale if someone wanted to add this to a train layout.
The model is a kit-bashed 1/72 Area 51 that originally had a clear green dome and windows. I made all of the windows and added some blue LED lights inside. It is held up by a steel rod welded to a flat base that is screwed to the plywood platform.
The base is plywood, green foam, gypsum cement and cheese cloth, then painted and landscaped using Woodland Scenics trees, turf and static grass. I also added a waterfall and small creek. The Water is a clear 3D material from Woodland Scenics called Water Effects.

The last one of these sold for a pretty penny so I built another. It is for sale but I didn't place an ODT ad because of the stupid price.

That's badass...

So exactly whats a stupid price?

I have it on Ebay for $1150.00

I've sold other pieces for more than that so I figured it's a good starting price for negotiation. Of course if someone local wanted it then the price would be substantially lower. Shipping something like this is a royal pain.

I'm taking it to a competition this weekend in Texas. Modelmania annual event in Houston.

I don't think that's out of line for pricing.

The materials to build it may not have been expensive, the amount of time & skill to actually build it is where the value comes from. My wife does cakes and I know all about "it's just a box of cake mix and frosting" or "walmart can do it for..." when she quotes a $700 job...

Got any pics of it in the dark/dimly lit room? Curious what it looks like with the lower light illuminating the ground and witness.

I don't think that's out of line for pricing.

The materials to build it may not have been expensive, the amount of time & skill to actually build it is where the value comes from. My wife does cakes and I know all about "it's just a box of cake mix and frosting" or "walmart can do it for..." when she quotes a $700 job...

Got any pics of it in the dark/dimly lit room? Curious what it looks like with the lower light illuminating the ground and witness.

The blue LEDs really do a number on my camera. But then again it's not far from what it looks like in reality. They turn everything blue. These photos were taken inside my display case. The odd shadows above the piece are from the clear shelf inside the case.

DSCN1325.JPG
DSCN1326.JPG
DSCN1327.JPG
DSCN1328.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom