• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UH-1H Huey

Loved riding in them in training in the early 80's, before the Blackhawk.
My first duty assignment out of flight school was to one of the last Infantry Divisions (4th ID) that was still flying the UH-1. All those photos were taken after the UH-60 was up, running and fielded....from 1987 - 90 time frame.

I had the opportunity to transition to the UH-60 right out of flight school, but didn't because I wanted to fly fixed wing (which I did later on down the road) and I thought a UH-60 transition would have made that impossible. Turned out to be a really good decision because I got fly the iconic UH-1H for 3 years, just before it passed into aviation history.

The oldest aircraft in my unit were 1963 air frames, the newest a 1972. Most were Vietnam veterans with a few still sporting outer skin patches in the tail booms and main cabin areas. Didn't think much of it at the time, but we were flying old war horses from another place and time in history. Now days that really hits home and means a lot to me.

A few more, Alaska and El Salvador....Cold as Hell and Hot as Hell, lol.

1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg
1 (4).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg

Lake County Airport, Leadville Colorado, The highest field elevation airport in North America.

1 (8).jpg

Back
Top Bottom