• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ultralight Hiking Knife Selection For Grown Son: Advice Needed (Edit: Advice Taken, trip going well)

Yeah, its a pretty well founded hope though. We went over how in the world he could get into a scenario where he would be alone on the Appalachian Trail. Couldn't come up with one. There's another hiker coming along quite regularly.
Yes, and he’s 22 so knows everything and is invincible.

Yes, and he’s 22 so knows everything and is invincible.

He's been raised right and is no know-it-all. He's smarter and more focused than I ever was. Good kid. Head screwed on straight. Works hard, saves money, helps others. Proud of everything about him besides this knife thing, lol. Even then, its nbd really. Just want to gift him a sweet ultralight knife he can carry with him.

Yeah, its a pretty well founded hope though. We went over how in the world he could get into a scenario where he would be alone on the Appalachian Trail. Couldn't come up with one. There's another hiker coming along quite regularly.
Slip on rock...fall down hill...end up in ravine...nobody sees or hears you...as people walk by all day.

He could at least throw something like a case trapper or mini trapper in a pocket in his bag.

But sometimes you gotta send em out in the world and let em figure it out for themselves...

Doesn’t matter. There’s always that unforeseen that will make you wish you had a knife.
I’ve always carried a knife, or two, or…. Since kindergarten when we played mumblety-peg in the dirt schoolyard.
But, let your son do it his way, that way when he comes home crying about you were right you can just look at him, smile, and softly say ‘’tolja so’’.

edit to add: just read the original post, if he carries a leatherman daily, seems like he’s aware of the value, and I don’t see how a couple of ounces are a deal breaker. But then, I’ve never hiked a couple hundred miles.

Back
Top Bottom