• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

under 18" shotgun barrels; when do they become illegal?

What is your favorite length all around shotgun barrel

• the real answer is 3 it is always 3... this week.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dude... why do you have a shotgun everybody needs an AR

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 32in long Tom of course

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Bigger than a taco

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
Hypothetical:

Suppose I bought a shotgun from another dude here at ODT who advertised it as being a home defense shotgun that had been cut down from a long sporting length 28 inch modified choke barrel to be an 18 inch cylinder bore only barrel.

Suppose I took his word that it was 18 inches and put it in my safe for years. I moved to another part of the country the seller got old and died. SO, NO RETURNS, NO UNDOING THE DEAL W/HIM.

After 10 years from the date I acquired it, I pull it out of my safe and decide to measure the barrel. IT's only 17 1/2 inches! (From closed bolt breechface to edge of muzzle.)

WHAT WOULD I DO ??

Give the barrel to a friend to keep at his home until he can sell it. He will be authorized to sell it at fair market value to any legal purchaser, and he can keep half the money and I'll take the other half.

Then I'll use my half of the money, plus some more money of my own, to shop around for a used barrel for this make and model shotgun that's over 18 inches.

Yeah, I'll end up having more money in this gun than I should have and it wouldn't be a very good bargain. However, that's better than being in possession of an unlawful, unregistered, short-barreled shotgun which can earn you 10 years in prison and tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
i built a shotgun out of a police evidence room. the barrel was only about 13". it was a single shot. i also found a tec 9 flash hider. hollowed it out and welded it to the barrel. the over all of the barrel was 19". i think you follow the stupid rules put in place. but stock 18+" pistol grip,just buy a shockwave and be happy...

Back
Top Bottom