• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Underrated Oddballs?

sweitynate

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
11   0
Reaction score
I know that there are a bunch of wildcat rounds out there and there are also plenty of unused/obsoleted/unpopular rounds. in your opinion, what are some of the most underrated wildcat/obscure rounds and why? (if you got pics post em up)

I've been messing with the 7.62x40 for a few months and have come the really appreciate what it is.

some of the highlights:
- I like having a 30 cal in an AR-15 (not AR-10)
- I like that I can convert my own brass of the 223/5.56 case
- I appreciate the size speed and useable range and ballistic variation of the round. though it is VERY similar to the 7.62x39, there are aspects of it that are a little different.
- I only needed a barrel. everything else on the gun is exactly the same.

Last edited:
All the the TCU cartridges.

The 6.5 and 7 BR cartridges.

300 Savage

7X47 (222 Rem mag necked up to 7mm)

358 Winchester

All of these are ones that I have and I enjoy shooting them all.

One that I don't have (and probably won't) but doesn't get any love at all despite being quite possibly the best all-around big game round for everything under the sun is the 8mm Remington Mag.

460 Rowland: 44 magnum power in the 1911 platform. I love this round and find myself reaching for my 460 1911 often when I am trekking into the woods. It can also shoot lead very well.

358 Winchester: I have a BLR in this round and like it very much. It is not my "go to" deer rifle, but it is a joy to shoot and gets the job done well when called upon. I also like it because you can handload .357 pistol bullets and send a hollow point downrange at over 2000 feet per second with devastating effects on varmints. I haven't done it yet, but I dream of an AR-10 set up to shoot this round. It should be an easy build as the parent case for the .358 is the .308 winchester. That would be a serious "hog gun".

5.7x28. Its by far the most under rated round. I have no problem carrying it and feeling snug as a bug. Not to mention some of the loads are just sick.

PICTURED : (LEFT) SS198LF and Elite S4M
i58.tinypic.com_5koar6.jpg

Last edited:
6mm BR. One of the tightest groups I have ever shot. It is a hell of a bench rest caliber but everyone want a 6.5/284 for some reason. I really like the 9X29 Dillon a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom