• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Uneven negotiating field when selling/trading... dealer/wholesaler disclaimer?

Do you have access to dealer/wholesale pricing?

• Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • I wish

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtrot Sierra

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
204   0
Reaction score
I may get chastised for this thread, but I have my big boy panties on... I believe that when entering into any discussion regarding a sale or trade, if a party has access to dealer or wholesale pricing, they should make this known. I’ve met some awesome folks through here, and made several deals, but one of my pet peeves is when both parties aren’t on the same playing field. I, for one, do not have access to special pricing, so when I enter into a discussion with someone who does, there is no way we’re going to be on a level negotiating field when it comes to value. They can simply get what I am trying to sell/trade at a much lower price point than I can.

What chaps me even more is when there’s a trade involved and for some reason, my item is being devalued to “gun biz” pricing, but theirs isn’t. If I wanted to deal with a pawn shop, I would go to a pawn shop.

Okay, rant over... deep breath... time to go about everyone’s day. Thanks for listening.

There's all kind of pricing out there for reference.

I can get lots of things wholesale. If you have a Ruger 10/22 for $225 and I can buy it for $147.99, I'm not going to bother you about a used one.
There's gunshow prices. If you know who to buy from, you can save 20% + off retail on some items. I've bought items at a show for $50 and sold them for $550. You never know unless you ask.
There's retail in a chain store. Bring your vaseline.
There's retail in a pawn shop. If you are a regular customer you can get great prices on stuff. Ruger 10/22 for $150 is no problem.
There's ODT pricing. Ask 1.33 times retail and let the lowballers nibble up to where you are happy selling. Or, run an auction via PM. List your gun way below fair market value and act like you don't know what it's worth but "you're willing to listen to offers". When someone hits you via PM with the highest amount and you want to sell, PM the other bidders and let them know another member "got to you before them so the item is sold."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom