• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Uneven negotiating field when selling/trading... dealer/wholesaler disclaimer?

Do you have access to dealer/wholesale pricing?

• Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • I wish

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anyone is debating that there are multiple metrics out there for which pricing can be based, but more that all parties should be on the same playing field.

This thread has potential. My opinion that is worth what you paid for it, I don't care.

You have a gun and asking x for it. I want that gun and I am willing to spend y for it, if you sell it to me for y, as long as it was legally obtained, Its not my buisness.

Shooting is a hobby of mine not buying and selling guns.

Just put in your ad, "NO neckbeards, NO dealers, NO members with wholesale accounts from any distributor, NO bargain hunters, NO Walmart shoppers, NO innernet shoppers, NO Bud's Gun Shop customers, NO C&R license holders, NO flippers". That ought to about cover it I think. Or you could just say, "Big Box Retail shoppers only need reply to this ad." That should work too.

I get it. I don’t care what you paid for it either if we can come to a mutually agreed upon price and deal. Where I get heated is when trying to assign relative values, particularly when looking at a trade. I tend to go straight across on retail pricing - since as a non-dealer - I have access to those. I find the lowest price I can get stuff for and use that to figure out any differences. It takes most other factors out of the equation (especially if looking at two used items). Fine, what would it cost new to replace stuff right now? Try to even the playing field. If someone wants to do the same with dealer pricing, that’s fine, too (I guess), but don’t blame me for being a little skeptical there, as well. There’s an element of blind trust on my part since they have access to those numbers and I don’t. How do I know the items are valued at what you’re telling me? I don’t have access to those numbers.

Just put in your ad, "NO neckbeards, NO dealers, NO members with wholesale accounts from any distributor, NO bargain hunters, NO Walmart shoppers, NO innernet shoppers, NO Bud's Gun Shop customers, NO C&R license holders, NO flippers". That ought to about cover it I think. Or you could just say, "Big Box Retail shoppers only need reply to this ad." That should work too.
This is a little overboard, because I think most savvy shoppers will look at buds, gunbuyer, grabagun, gunbroker, etc. when trying to determine values. All I’m saying is, if you’re going by the internet, then both use the internet (publically available pricing for both parties). I’ve made plenty of deals where each person found the lowest they could get the others item for after browsing the interwebs and that was fine for all involved. Just don’t pull, “Well, I can get your item for $XYZ, but you’d have to pay $UVW for my item (since you’re not a dealer), so there...” That’s BS.

I never do that, LOL. I see your point but a dealer has overhead that a private seller does not.

In any case, when trading, each party wants something the other has or there's no trade. At least that's how I think it goes.
I've had guys trade a $2,000 gun for a $400 gun. I had what they wanted. I don't try to explain it.

Try to even the playing field. If someone wants to do the same with dealer pricing, that’s fine, too (I guess), but don’t blame me for being a little skeptical there, as well. There’s an element of blind trust on my part since they have access to those numbers and I don’t. How do I know the items are valued at what you’re telling me? I don’t have access to those numbers.

I must admit that I am having a difficult time understanding your problem. You state you want to even the playing field because you don't have access to values of the gun being sold or traded may have. Well, if you are buying trading for a used gun, do your due diligence and research the gun. You can find an approximate value for it by using GunBroker, just as an example, there are other places. Go to the advanced section on GB, hit completed items, then type in the make, model and barrel length of what you are attempting to buy or trade. GB will pull up the recent "Sales" and you can average them or pick one that fits the gun in question the best. There is your value. It is not perfect, but it will give you just as good an idea as the other person will have. I don't use value books. The date they are printed, they are out of date.
On new guns, go to Bud's Guns, or any number of new gun sites, and see what they are asking for a new gun. It will not give you wholesale values, but really, why would you need that information unless you can buy wholesale.
I don't believe there is every a level playing field when buying, selling or trading guns. Either the buyer or the seller will be more informed in most every transaction. The key is never sell/buy or trade unless you are happy with the transaction. If you don't like the transaction, you will never be happy with the gun you sold, gun you traded for, or the price you paid for one.

If I missed your point, well, I told you I was having a tough time understanding the problem.

Just my opinion, but what do I know?

I think the OP is complaining about someone having knowledge or access to pricing that he does not.

That's life. If someone tells you that they can buy something for less than you've valued it at? Tell them to buy it there.

What if it was the other way around? What if you were buying/trading for something that you knew to be worth thousands and the seller had valued it at a $100 or less? Would you 'level the playing field' and tell them they could sell it for $10,000?

I guess my point isn’t being well conveyed. I apologize for that. Continue buying/selling/trading, everyone. Overall, this is a great community and I’m glad to have found and be a part of it.

I don't understand the "level playing field" either. I know what I will pay/sell and you do too (or should). What the price is elsewhere factors into my decision, but if you want more than I am willing to pay, good for you, and if you are not willing to pay what I am asking, good for you too.

I'm not running a business. If I make a little or lose a little that's my business also. I see that sme posters on ODT are consumed with the notion that they not be "taken advantage of" and that's o.k. too. (Folks that say "I've got this much in it, and I have to get that out of it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom