• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unicorn Search; .22 Lead Free Subsonic Rounds

Not that I would know, but it may be possible that he wants to eradicate geese during goose season. You need to use lead free ammo. Subsonic to use with a can and stay quiet.
Assuming he wants to be legal, it's not legal to take geese (or any federally regulated migratory bird) with a rifle.

Assuming he wants to be legal, it's not legal to take geese (or any federally regulated migratory bird) with a rifle.
I have an email from DNR a couple years ago that says you can as long as lead free. I'll have to find it. Called up a couple years ago and asked for clarification and then had the guy email me that ok to go. Had to get duck stamp and such so I never did anything with it and geese were gone from the lake, but unless things have changed, apparently ok with geese or the guy was wrong.

I have an email from DNR a couple years ago that says you can as long as lead free. I'll have to find it. Called up a couple years ago and asked for clarification and then had the guy email me that ok to go. Had to get duck stamp and such so I never did anything with it and geese were gone from the lake, but unless things have changed, apparently ok with geese or the guy was wrong.
He/she was wrong.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/675

Restrictions:
No person shall take migratory game birds:
  • With a trap, snare, net, crossbow, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10-gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fishhook, poison, drug, explosive or stupefying substance.

Again, it's FEDERAL law. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/50/20.21

I've often wondered why a ammunition company doesn't make a Steele jacketed .22 subsonic? I could care less if it's lead free or not just would be a lot better to run through the can. There is a .22 mag fmj so why not a .22lr? I know they were around during ww2. Wonder why they stopped?

I've often wondered why a ammunition company doesn't make a Steele jacketed .22 subsonic? I could care less if it's lead free or not just would be a lot better to run through the can. There is a .22 mag fmj so why not a .22lr? I know they were around during ww2. Wonder why they stopped?
Cost. 22 is designed to be cheap. lead bullet with a copper wash at most is how they keep it there.

Back
Top Bottom