• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unknowingly traded a stolen firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id get a lawyer before I'd say anything to the police.

Until the police come to his house, I wouldn't do anything other than proceed as normal. If they call him, tell the truth and don't think anything more about it. This has turned into a cluster and nothing has been done other than a phone call from someone offering a heads up.

I've had NYC ATF office harass me for a week straight after a gun I sold a coworker wound up in a crime in NYC. I told them it's their problem and that the laws in GA are completely different than there (they were trying to get me on NYC laws). After I told them that if they called again harassing me they would be talking to my lawyer the calls stopped. Then a week later I get a phone call from ATL ATF field office asking if I'd give a statement as to who I sold the gun to. Told them I have nothing to say and haven't heard from them since. State law doesn't require a BOS nor does it require me to say anything other than I sold that gun. Any officer that knows the laws knows this as well. And as far as the pawn shop saying the gun was stolen I have a feeling is full of ****. When any product comes in its documented they take your picture with the pawn ticket. Each of those gets submitted to the governing agency nightly. If something pops stolen they come pick up what was stolen and gather info on who sold it to them. The next step is going to talk to that person. Emails or not in this state all you have to say is you had no reason to believe the gun was stolen and you sold it to someone else. Trail ends there.

They may try and pressure you into saying more but don't. Just keep your replies short and to the point I sold the gun. I had no reason to believe it was stolen. Look up some of the laws here in ga. You're in the clear.

Telling truth might get you off stealing it, but still have the "posession of a stolen firearm" charge to fall on. A simple screen shot of the dealing or the highly hated bos might help but not the popular odt butt cover. Did u by chance have a witness or able to describe the seller or vehicle or if met at a convenience or other store with cameras they might be your saving grace if video is kept long enough and they are willing to give it up, (it'd be worth $ to you to get)pm me for more tips i'll get trashed here if i give away any more known facts.

It " IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY" to be sure that
1- FIREARM IS NOT STOLEN, and
2 - NO ONE IS A FELON...

I really don't want to derail the thread, but how do you suggest we do this? I'm not aware of public information that is available to accomplish either..

OP, did the guy ask for anything at all, or did he just send an email giving you a heads up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom