• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unknowingly traded a stolen firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I traded the 1911 to November Sierra. I was not asking for the 1911 back. I later sold the gun to a friend who happens to be a police officer. He later pawned the gun . When he went to get the pawned gun back he was informed it had popped on the hotlist. I was contacted by a Jefferson police officer and told him where I obtained the gun. He told me he was turning all the info over to Augusta PD as that was where the reported theft took place. I called N.S. just to give him a heads up that they might contact him. Thanks.
Thank for clearing that up. :thumb:

Seems odd on the part of the pawn shop that he would find out it was stolen from them and not LE and even then only when he returned to get it. But then again, I'm not a pawn broker so I don't know how all that works.

I traded the 1911 to November Sierra. I was not asking for the 1911 back. I later sold the gun to a friend who happens to be a police officer. He later pawned the gun . When he went to get the pawned gun back he was informed it had popped on the hotlist. I was contacted by a Jefferson police officer and told him where I obtained the gun. He told me he was turning all the info over to Augusta PD as that was where the reported theft took place. I called N.S. just to give him a heads up that they might contact him. Thanks.
Well you should have waited a couple more day's to let the conspiracy theories grow. Any story like this could grow long legs. Well done on your part sir.

I'm just curious...did the 220 come with the original box? I drove 38 miles today to purchase a pistol and turned it down as it was not in original box. The seller appeared fine, but a good friend of mine was burned on a purchase of pistol/mag only and I just won't go there. Good luck with this mess....

I'm just curious...did the 220 come with the original box? I drove 38 miles today to purchase a pistol and turned it down as it was not in original box. The seller appeared fine, but a good friend of mine was burned on a purchase of pistol/mag only and I just won't go there. Good luck with this mess....

Came with box AND dox. I thought the dude I got it from was the original owner

If you are in Georgia, merely look up the statute concerning bona fide purchaser for value, or similar nomenclature and therein lies the answer. If there is no statute on the subject, you may look to the Uniform Commercial Code for guidance, article 2 deals with "sales". If I remember the rantings of my lunatic property professor correctly, a "BFP" has rights superior to all, including the victim of the theft.

Came with box AND dox. I thought the dude I got it from was the original owner

If it really is stolen, must have been a burglary vs car break in. I would not take any action until speaking with the authorities and confirming that it was in fact a stolen weapon. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom