• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unusual Deer Clicking Sounds

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
438   0
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a younger buck ring my stand making a clicking noise. I had heard the sound before but I hadn't associated it with a deer until I saw him doing it. Now it's something that when I hear I think "buck". Well yesterday evening I had one "click" off and on for a good 15 or 20 minutes about an hour before dark. Unfortunately he was in the brush and he ringed the entire 1 acre food plot. I could hear him crashing every now. I had a doe and a spike in the food plot and they didn't seem to mind too much but the squirrels and whatever this buck was after were pretty upset. Unfortunately he never came out in the open for me to get a good look at him.

I'm sorry that I can't describe the sound very well. It's not a grunt...more like a tick,tick, tick, tick, tick spaced together about like the noise a tree frog would make. I did some research last night which yes can be dangerous and apparently it's the sound a buck makes when he's in pursuit of a doe. I'm not sure what he would be trying to tell her....maybe, don't worry baby I only need five minutes and I swear this won't be too bad lol?

Anyhow, has anyone else ever heard this before and does anyone know what it means to a deer?

Never heard that interesting. Or maybe I just wasnt listening for it and thought it was something else.

I found these on youtube. The second one sounds more similar to what I heard though not exact of course. It sounds crazy and again if I hadn't seen a young buck making this noise a few years ago I never would have guessed it was a deer.

I found these on youtube. The second one sounds more similar to what I heard though not exact of course. It sounds crazy and again if I hadn't seen a young buck making this noise a few years ago I never would have guessed it was a deer.

Interesting I always thought it was a woodpecker.

Back
Top Bottom