• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Upcoming Energy Crisis

Ive been trying to source a couple of 20 lb propane tanks. Prior to today, I've never shopped for them. Dont even own a grill (no man card). I've always had the 1 lb Coleman tanks around for various things and the 14 oz torch tanks. Several were given to me so Ive never really shopped for propane to know the cost. Looks like I picked the perfect time to buy LOL.

Question: Is $35-45 a typical 20 lb tank price or is that a spiked price due to demand? I dont see how they could make them much cheaper but I've never followed the propane market.
I recently purchased a few at Home Depot for about $39. They were empty. I went by Tractor Supply and paid about $3.39 per gallon to fill.

Tractor Supply had empty tanks but were more expensive than HD.

We'll be ****ting electricity before long.
Luckily I wasn't drinking coffee, or I would have spit it out when I read this!

What will the magical sparkle unidolphins do when the lights go out?
I can't find any link to it now, but many, many years ago I read about a woman who became a staunch nuclear energy Proponent after the power went out at her apartment when she was blow drying her hair. She determined that nuclear energy was more reliable (and was not longer a "green" nut job).

People will kill you over a dime, be prepared the scouts say
They'll definitely kill over a gallon of gasoline. IIRC during the chaos that ensued after Hurricane Katrina, the best things to have was gasoline, and a gun.

An electric generator would come in handy.
I'm always trying to find a way to better sound proof a whole house generator. It needs ventilation and easy access, but, man they are loud.

And +1 more for a wood burning stove. Even if we never have a big energy crisis, my gas bill is about 1/4 of what it used to be prior to having a wood stove.

Back in 1994 when it flooded here, 22 inches of rain in one night, I found that you have to adapt & overcome. All the preparation and there is still the unexpected things. To give you an idea imagine standing under a waterfall then build a fire. Gasoline for the generator became one big problem. The solution was siphon from every car that wasn't moving. Amazing how much gas a fully loaded generator takes to keep running. Going anywhere wasn't possible because the roads were gone. Even the national guard got washed away. You do what you can and you do what you shouldn't to get by.

Back in 1994 when it flooded here, 22 inches of rain in one night, I found that you have to adapt & overcome. All the preparation and there is still the unexpected things. To give you an idea imagine standing under a waterfall then build a fire. Gasoline for the generator became one big problem. The solution was siphon from every car that wasn't moving. Amazing how much gas a fully loaded generator takes to keep running. Going anywhere wasn't possible because the roads were gone. Even the national guard got washed away. You do what you can and you do what you shouldn't to get by.
I figure my gen would need about 12 gallons of gasoline per day to run the loads that I have. It wouldn't take long to deplete a storage of gas at that rate. If the outage was going to be long-term, the best thing to do would be to run the gen for a few hours or long enough to keep the refrigerator cold and food from spoiling and then turn it off for a few hours. So instead of 24 hours worth of gas lasting a single day, it might be stretched to 3 or 4 days.

Screenshot_2021-10-02-15-16-56.png

Why Is Everyone Talking About a Global Power Shortage?​

FOLLOW THIS STORYTHREAD
Contributors: Stephen Stapczynski
Updated on September 28, 12:52 AM EDT

What You Need To Know​

There is a worrying shortage of energy from Europe to Asia, caused by supply restraints from the world’s top producers, and that’s poised to shutter factories and boost power bills. While there is no single reason for the shortage — things like customer demand, technical problems and a lack of investment are all playing a part — the crisis is threatening to spread to more nations and upend the global economic recovery.
The price of natural gas and coal, used to power factories and heat homes, has surged to multi-year highs as the post-pandemic rebound collides with supply constraints in the run-up to the Northern Hemisphere winter.
The crisis has forced some fertilizer producers in Europe to reduce output, while Chinese power grids are rationing supplies to factories, which will curb production. What’s worrying is that it isn’t even cold yet. Energy consumption usually peaks when frigid temperatures boost demand for heating.
Already, China is looking to adopt measures to try to cool sky-high coal prices and ease its own power shortage, while utilities around the world are working tirelessly to try to secure more fuel supplies.

America is headed down the drain like Germany back in 43/44. Inflation everything is on the rise, it’s going to get to the point where 100$ want even buy you a loaf of bread. They will say use the U.S dollar as tolit paper it’s cheaper. Just to think we got more years of his dictatorship.

The issue with China cutting power is due to them boycotting Australia's coal industry. They wanted to hurt their economy but it's turned the issue against themselves. Now they only offer power to certain factories to keep the money flowing and cut it off for the rest of the people.

Back
Top Bottom