Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
The classes available in Sept. & Oct. are:

Sept. 24 and/or 25

and

Oct. 8 and/or 9

I mainly do custom classes during the week so if you want to take a class but need to do it during the week, call me or drop me an email & we can try to work you in one of those or set-up a private, indiv., or group lesson around each of our schedules.

Here are the classes that will be being offered:

Basic Defensive Pistol I :

This class is approx. 16 hrs. of instruction divided into two halves, usually on a Satur.-Sun. or Part I on a Satur./Sun. followed by Part II the next Satur./Sun.

Those who are unable to attend two days back to back can come back & take the 2nd half at a later date. These classes are available to anyone of age, w/ a non-criminal background, G.W.L. is preferred.)

The first day will consist of 2-3 hrs. of intense classroom discussion of Use of Deadly Force Laws followed by further discussion of Ga. Carry Laws.

Topics that will be discussed will be:

The Four Primary Rules of Gun Safety

Threat Recognition & Avoidance

Color codes of Mental Awareness/ Situational Awareness

The OODA Loop

Defensive & Combative Mindset

Interacting with Law Enforcement

Post-Defensive Shooting Behavior

Passive Defense Options (personal & home)

Less Lethal Options (advantages & disadvantages)

Terminal Effectiveness of Modern Ammunition (how bullets work & why sometimes they don't)

Selection of Gun & Gear Options that suit YOUR needs & lifestyle

Safe Storage/Protection of Firearms against unauthorized access/use.

Help in developing or refining a "System" that works for you to carry or have a firearm close at hand.

...and more.

After a short break for lunch we will head to our private range for the first day of shooting.

The classes will begin at 9:00, break for lunch at 12:00, resume from 1:00 till 5:00 or 5:30 on the first day.

Part I will be held on the first weekend & Part II on the next or other agreed upon date.

On the range we will cover:

Gun/Gear Evaluation

Dryfire Training Methods

Correct Combative Stances

Proper Grip Techniques

Effective Draw Sequence from a Holster & Alternative Carry Locations

Sight Picture, Sight Alignment, Trigger Press, & Followthrough

Marksmanship Practice & Drills

Proper Reloading Methods (with revolver or semi-auto)

Types of Malfunctions & Corrective Techniques

Avoiding "Range" Mentality

Searching & Scanning Surroundings for Additional Threats or Responding Law Enforcement (critical to avoid ambush and to avoid being shot by L.E. by mistake)

There are other topics & exercises that may be covered but these comprise the bulk of the class.

The cost is $275 for O.D.T. members or their families.

This much info. for this price is a GREAT DEAL... ask anyone who has taken it on this forum or otherwise.

Basic Equipment Needed for this class is:

Gun** - Preferably the one that you carry or would use for self-defense.
Needs to function properly & you should be able to cycle/rack the slide and/or pull the trigger repeatedly.
(** optional... if you do not have one we can offer one from a wide selection of ours to try & find what works for you)

For Semi-Autos: 3 or 4 magazines is preferred (2 is absolute minimum)

For Revolvers: 3 or 4 speedloaders or speedstrips (2 is absolute minimum)

Ammunition: 350-400 rds. A little extra never hurts.

Holster: You DO NOT have to use a holster but if that is how you carry or want to carry we recommend that you use it.
It needs to be of an "opentop" design that will enable you to re-holster it one-handed.
No "floppy" or "soft" holsters that require 2 hands to re-holster please.

Belt: Sturdy,wide & sized correctly please

Range Bag or Case to keep everything in

Eye Protection: Clear Impact Resistant Safety Glasses & Sunglasses both are recommended for variable lighting conditions.

Hearing Protection: Ear Muffs are recommended but Earplugs at minimum... both are a good idea for the ladies & those who may have hearing loss.

Drinks/Snacks: We will take regular breaks so bring plenty.

Hat & Sunscreen: We have a large covered shelter for shade during breaks but it could be hot & sunny on the range.

Safety is our TOP PRIORITY... anyone who endangers others through reckless behavior will be removed immediately.

50% deposit is necessary to reserve your spot.

Basic Defensive Pistol - LADIES ONLY:

Most of the same content that is in the regular Basic class will be covered but with additional time spent discussing safety/security needs specific to ladies.
This class is also slower paced to allow time for each student to become comfortable handling & firing a firearm(s), competent in its use, and develop a system that will enable them to carry it or have it close at hand.

This class is priced the same as the other Basic Defen. Pistol I Class at $275.

We also offer a one day (8 hr.) Ladies Only Class for $175 for those who just can't do a two-day class. This is an abbreviated outline of our Basic D.P.-I.

Obviously this class doesn't contain all of the info. that's in the two-day class but we do cover all of the basic fundamentals.

I will be updating this post as more specifics are set in stone.

This year we have done quite a few couples classes, usually Husband/Wife or Father/Daughter or Son. so we are adding those to the list of classes soon as well.
We also will be doing a Senior's class as Senior's, like Ladies, have unique needs that need to be addressed differently than standard classes due to aging eyes, limited hand strength, mobility issues, etc. so we modify the class to make sure everyone gets the most out of it for their particular needs.

If anyone has any questions, you are welcome to email me at www.protectivemeasures@ymail.com, PM me here, or call me at 706-980-0668.

Last edited:
How about it guys?

Last year there were several people who either bought training gift certificates for themselves for Christmas... or for family/friends.

If you've been thinking about training w/o driving 4-8 hrs. away or spending $1000 or more, this would be an easier, less expensive way to go.

If you've never done it before, taking serious defensive training from professionals will open your eyes to a whole new side to the world of firearms.

If you have, then it will be an excellent refresher to brush up on the fundamentals and pickup a few different techniques or pointers.

We are still having classes weekly with non-ODT students but a little surprised with the all of the inquiries (25+) on here that no one is trying to confirm dates to come out.

You will not beat these classes for the value or content.

I asked in the other thread and never really got an anwser but basically before I write a check to a school or for training I like to know the instructor cadre, their background, experience and so on. An NRA certification isn't going to cut it. This isn't a poke at you but this goes for anyone offering instruction/training. There are a ton of fly by night operations out there and really they do more harm then good. I have spent time training at both ends of the spectrum here in Georgia I will not make that mistake twice. Some schools may charge over $1000 for instruction but that instruction comes from a world class shooter with real experience. For instance the Rogers School up in Ellijay. Bill Rogers charges $1500 for his basic handgun course. While that may seem steep on the surface if you look closely that is $1500 for five days of instruction with all your ammo and gear provided. That breaks down to $300 a day for time with one of best pistol instructors around today. That is IMO money well spent. I am not trying to piss on your parade OP but when you make comments about other schools pricing, comparing value content I would like to know what I am getting if I spend my money with you. What level of instruction am I getting?

Again I am not trying to poke you but as you put it you have had 25+ inquiries and nothing solid has come of it. I would hazard a guess some people are reluctant to fork over cash without knowing who will be instructing them. At least I am. Posting prices and saying you are closer and cheaper then the other guy..doesn't draw me in. I have been up to Memphis to attend a course with Tom Givens, spent weeks up in Ellijay to take courses at Rogers school and those are the close ones. If cheap and close are your selling points then that might have something to do with 25+ inquiries and nothing coming out of it. What I am trying to get out is I am not buying cheap and close. I can get that at any local range here. I am buying substance.

In response to the comment by "Aimless"...

Tom Given's & Bill Roger's are excellent teachers w/ excellent schools. I never said anything disparaging anyone else's school.

I encourage everyone to get the best training that they can afford or have the time to attend.

Several of the students who I've worked with have commented on the fact that they didn't have the budget or time to attend schools that were more expensive or further away.

Before you so blatantly criticize me and lump me & my school into the category of those who give very little content & do more damage than good, perhaps you should talk to the 20 or more O.D.T. members who have attended & graduated... nevermind the over 200 non-O.D.T. people who have also come through in the past year.

Just because my school & I aren't on The Outdoors Channel or featured in S.W.A.T. magazine yet doesn't mean that we aren't very competent & serious about what we do.

I have a lot of money invested in my school (over $18,000 in the range alone) & work very hard to give people more for their money than what they're paying for.

Ask anyone who's trained with us & check or ask them to demonstrate the fundamentals of whatever level of training they've completed.

I actually have a class coming up at the end of this month w/ 4 out of 6 being O.D.T. members and a Ladies class after that w/ the 3 of the 6 wives being O.D.T. members.

I have no problem w/ constructive criticism but taking your frustration w/ other schools or trainers out on me and assuming that I conduct my business in a similar manner is an unprovoked & unsubstantiated attack on me & my school.

I've spent a good part of the last 3 years of my life helping people (sometimes for as low as $10/hr.) to be more tactically aware, master the fundamentals, learn the laws, & become better shooters.

Not cool.

Last edited:
Some of the most inefficient shooters I have seen are LEO and USMIL so not sure that's really an overall impressive skill set to have for civilian training applications.

Of course that is with exception and I know LE/MIL who are VERY efficient shooters.

Last edited:
I am going to ask a little deeper question. Does GA POST recognize any of your training? Do you have any POST Certified Instructors on your team. I am just curious.

Luke

Last edited:
I'm just asking a question. I am not antagonizing. I am an instructor as well and like to talk to other instructors and share tips....and actually having a military or LEO background is a very impressive skill set when doing private training for citizens....we actually and assist some trainers in their private practice....and answer any questions they may have....and if we do not have the answers we will do our best in finding them. I am not thread bashing. I just want to know about the background that is all...I got a cousin that works private security in Rome and was interested in any places in his area...and Rome is a tad too far for me to drive....also it is important for most defensive tactic schools to have someone who is POST of FLETC certified when running a company due to liability....just my 2 cents....

Last edited:
I'm curious to know if the instructors have any LEO or military experience?

3 of my assistant Instructors are retired L.E. or retired Marines.
One of these is the chief Instructor for the local P.D.

I am not either. I have trained beside both for over 20 years & some of my closest friends are.

The last formal class that I took was one where I trained with some U.S. Marshals, B.A.T.F.E, & C.I.A. Agents as well as an Instructor from Rangemaster in Memphis,TN.
I'm proud to say that my scores were either the top of the class or at worst a tie for first.

However as we all know, no matter how good you are, there is always someone better on any given day.

As you know, being from either background. L.E. or Military, doesn't guarantee proficiency and sometimes is a hindrance when training civilians as they have different responsibilities in a violent encounter.

Most military/ police training is derived from their own experiences in training which doesn't reflect what occurs in most civilian environments.

My experience with Instructors who are/were L.E. or Mil. has been that it depends on the individual & how varied & current their training is.

Some are first class/ top notch "operators"... others basically try to simulate the last training they had many years ago by outfitting everyone w/ a "Sam Browne" type setup & put them all on a line to shoot basic drills.

While that can be constructive, we've found that as long as the safety rules are demonstrated & enforced, fundamentals are taught & practiced repeatedly that a "one-size-fits-all" approach is not necessarily the best for people with different needs & backgrounds.

In otherwords, a lady real estate agent has different needs than a male banker... a nurse who works 2nd or 3rd shift has different needs than a guy who works in a pawnshop, etc., etc.

I enjoy the process of working with people to develop a "system" that works for their circumstances... either to carry a gun with them more often/daily and to be more confident & proficient in it's use... or hopefully to sharpen their situational awareness so they can avoid the fight altogether.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom