• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Upcoming Korean War Movie

That wasn’t the last time a prop driven airplane shot down a Mig.
U.S. Army CPT Ken Lee piloting an OV-1 Mohawk in the 131st Nighthawks shot down a Mig 17 on the North/South Vietnam DMZ in 1967. Over 2 decades later I had the great honor of serving in the same unit, then assigned to the 4th ID Aviation Brigade.

Mohawk is still in use by the Filipinos. Weird, cool, and noisy.

Mohawk is still in use by the Filipinos. Weird, cool, and noisy.
And Old, Lol. I wanted to fly the Mohawk straight out of flight school. Didn’t get the chance until 3 years later after my 1st and only tour flying helicopters. My first day at Cairns AAF I told my OV-1 instructor I felt fortunate to be there and had wanted this transition since flight school graduation. He laughed and said, “Newly winged aviators ain’t got no business flying a Mohawk, they ain’t horny or man enough to handle 3 pieces of tail at once!”

I'd bet a dollar most Americans don't know that during the Korean War we were fighting the Chinese for most of it. From an aviation standpoint, American pilots also had to contend with Russian adversaries. Crazy conflict and crazier still to be so ignored.
I think part of it was because the US called it a “Police Action” rather than a war. My guess wouId be Truman didn’t want to ask Congress for approval.

Reactions: GFB
I'd bet a dollar most Americans don't know that during the Korean War we were fighting the Chinese for most of it. From an aviation standpoint, American pilots also had to contend with Russian adversaries. Crazy conflict and crazier still to be so ignored.
I bet most Americans don’t know the Korean War never officially ended and only a “Ceasefire” agreement, which has been violated hundreds of times by the North Koreans, has existed since 1953

I bet most Americans don’t know the Korean War never officially ended and only a “Ceasefire” agreement, which has been violated hundreds of times by the North Koreans, has existed since 1953
I served a year in S. Korea. Every time we travelled to Camp Liberty Bell we saw some proof of incursion, usually a new tunnel that had been dug in the area.

All this unfinished business is rearing its ugly head again. The China Taiwan issue is a Korean war issue. When we put boots on the ground in Korea in 1950, the Navy performed a blockade of Taiwan to prevent the Communists Chinese from launching an amphibious invasion of Taiwan and finishing their civil war. During the Chinese civil war, the US backed the nationalists big time, just like we're backing Ukraine now. The Chinese haven't forgotten this.

Back
Top Bottom