• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Update day 3 see post #13. Started working on my compost bin set up today.

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
218   0
Reaction score
Long way to go but trying to be more self sufficient.

3D253F75-443A-4D7E-AA96-56EA9C3F91AC.jpeg

Once you start putting debris in the bin mix some chicken manure in to get it started. Chicken manure is high in nitrogen and phosphorus and it will kick start the decomposition process especially in the Spring before the sun heats it up.

Once you start putting debris in the bin mix some chicken manure in to get it started. Chicken manure is high in nitrogen and phosphorus and it will kick start the decomposition process especially in the Spring before the sun heats it up.
Yeah. We have plenty of that around here with two chicken farms near by. :thumb:

Awesome!! I’ve got a raised bed out back that we’ve been composting all out eggshells, food scraps, fruit etc in for over a year. Also had it full of worms. It has made some wonderful fertilizer dirt for all my fruit trees and such. I do need to make a better setup though. Like to see yours complete

Awesome!! I’ve got a raised bed out back that we’ve been composting all out eggshells, food scraps, fruit etc in for over a year. Also had it full of worms. It has made some wonderful fertilizer dirt for all my fruit trees and such. I do need to make a better setup though. Like to see yours complete
I’ll update when I’m done with it. :thumb:

Day 2 update finished the three bins. Built lids for the first two. They will get covered with chicken wire or something similar to keep the raccoons out. Got one of two gates finished. Bin one will be the starter bin. Bin two will get leaves and small twigs added to what is moved from bin one. Bin three will have no gate but will have a permanent metal roof and it gets the chicken/goat/sheep manure added to what was in bin two.

610934BF-1D74-4DD9-BD6B-71F59C9DA4F0.jpeg

Very cool! Might borrow on your idea. I had been eyeballing 2 separate businesses giving away free pallets. Borrowed my dads truck and someone beat me to both piles. Dangit. Have to wait.

Very cool! Might borrow on your idea. I had been eyeballing 2 separate businesses giving away free pallets. Borrowed my dads truck and someone beat me to both piles. Dangit. Have to wait.
Check landscaping companies that lay sod. Sod companies won’t take them back and they have to dispose of them. Mine was left from 18 pallets of sod we had put down and two from landscaping pavers.

Back
Top Bottom