• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE: Land ownership/deed question

Go to the county clerks office and ask them to show you how to check the deed books and see if the lot has been sold recently and conveyed to a new owner by deed or if the developer still owns the lot. They will help you. AS one poster mentioned that the lot could have been sold recently and the online website has not be updated yet.

I had a few minutes so I called to see if there was a new deed or if the property had been sold and the county tells me the only property that sold was the tract that the house is on, not the "Recreation Area" tract. I was able to find the plat and the recreation tract is clearly labelled as such as well as the Owner's Certificate that reads, in part: ...THAT ALL STREETS, WATER SYSTEMS, DRAINS AND DRAINAGE EASEMENTS AND PUBLIC PLACES SHOWN ARE DEDICATED TO THE USE OF THE PUBLIC FOREVER.

Now, while it does not explicitly describe the "Recreation Area" as a "Public Place", I think most normal humans would agree that "Recreation Area" implies a "Public Place" in regard to the development of a subdivision.

Furthermore, the recorded deed shows the builder as having "1/2 interest" in the tract with the assumption that the other half is the interest of the second owner listed on the parcel report, neither of which are the owners of the adjoining tract.

I guess we'll see what happens...:spy:

Make a copy of the deed high lighting the words Recreational Property and leave it at their house for them to read. Also make sure to circle the owners name in red so that maybe they will understand. Doing land surveying I seen a lot of property disputes and their never pretty.

Make a copy of the deed high lighting the words Recreational Property and leave it at their house for them to read. Also make sure to circle the owners name in red so that maybe they will understand. Doing land surveying I seen a lot of property disputes and their never pretty.
Yeah, I don't this will turn out very good, especially when they see me clearing the trails this weekend, lol.

You can go on the interweb and search under property taxes for that parcel....whoever has been paying the taxes is the owner 99% of the time. Purchase/change of ownership takes about a year to get updated on the county records, so you might be dealing with "old info".

Check county assessor/property taxes/parcel lookup type of tabs to find the info. You can do this in about every county in the country, except LA which has parishes.

You can go on the interweb and search under property taxes for that parcel....whoever has been paying the taxes is the owner 99% of the time. Purchase/change of ownership takes about a year to get updated on the county records, so you might be dealing with "old info".

Check county assessor/property taxes/parcel lookup type of tabs to find the info. You can do this in about every county in the country, except LA which has parishes.
I called the county and they were very helpful. The property that the house is on was recently sold to a person with same last name as the building company. They were probably told that there was 5 acres adjoining it. According to the plat, it’s public property. I’ll update after the weekend, gotta get the chainsaw warmed up.

I called the county and they were very helpful. The property that the house is on was recently sold to a person with same last name as the building company. They were probably told that there was 5 acres adjoining it. According to the plat, it’s public property. I’ll update after the weekend, gotta get the chainsaw warmed up.

You opening the trail heads or going "leather-face" on them?

Back
Top Bottom