• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE ! Microtech expert & able to spot a fake vs a real one?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 07/2007 Microtech Troodon that came with the Microtech box and documents down to the warranty card. The belt clip is accurate. I am just not sure it is real and don't know how to spot a fake one.

Attachments

• microtech closed.jpg
    microtech closed.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 4,807
  • microtech box and docs.jpg
    microtech box and docs.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4,661
  • microtech belt clip.jpg
    microtech belt clip.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4,734
  • microtech blade L.jpg
    microtech blade L.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 4,575
Last edited:
That is why I don't buy knives from ODTrs anymore. Too many fakes running around and they're about as likely to know the knife is fake when they sell it to you as you are to know about it yourself.

Buy high quality knives from the makers or authorized dealers only.

I'm not an expert but based on my personal experience I'd say it's real. The fakes use phillips head screws. I've never seen a fake with TORX screws. Everything else looks legit also. Most fakes might have the inner box but not the inner and out box plus the nylon belt holder and warranty card.

Is there some reason you believe it's no genuine? If you're really doubting it then send the pics to microtech's CS. They can help you determine if it's genuine.

I just spoke to Microtech CS and they asked for the pictures to see if they can tell me it is legit or not. The lady I spoke to said the crooks out there have copied everything box & docs and all. I bought it from a private person and it looks unused.

I should have an answer in a little while maybe.

As expensive as a Microtech knife is you would think their company would do more to protect their copyright and educate the public about the fake knives out there. Nothing on their website even talks about the fakes and knock offs and how to spot one.

Last edited:
I sent pictures to Microtech Customer Service and I was told that this knife is a fake. I then asked what makes it a fake and this is their response:

We have proprietary screws, those are not our screws (she did not say what their screws looked like). The thumb switch is very silvery looking and from looking at it from the side, I can see what looks to be pins inserted into it (actually they are the same style of screw in the rest of the knife), ours does not have these pins. We have never used a box like the smaller of the two pictured. The sleeve looks like ours, as does the warranty card and sheath, however I have seen these items copied also. The blade is two toned, ours are either all steel or completely molle coated black. Most fakes also have a “rubbery” feel to the handle as well. We recommend our customers purchase from authorized Microtech dealers only. The gun and knife shows are notorious for selling the fakes. If you have any information available regarding the vendor you purchased this from, we would appreciate you sending it to us so that we may pass the information on to our attorneys. We do what we can to stop them from ripping people off. I purchased this knife from a private person selling his own items.

This tells me that Microtech wants you to purchase a new knife and pay retail for it. NEVER buy a used Microtech knife! Microtech provides none of this information on their website and if you buy a used one it would be a fake most likely. In my opinion Microtech is doing very little to protect customers from buying a fake knife. I'll take my dollars elsewhere.

Last edited:
If you have any information available regarding the vendor you purchased this from, we would appreciate you sending it to us so that we may pass the information on to our attorneys. We do what we can to stop them from ripping people off.
In my opinion Microtech is doing very little to protect customers from buying a fake knife. I'll take my dollars elsewhere.
:confused:

Last edited:
Microtech has no information whatsoever on their website about reporting possible vendors of fake knives and they have no information on their website that tells people how to determine if the Microtech knife they are looking at is a real one or it is a fake one. Their customer service only provided the above information after being prompted by a second email. They initially told me only that it was not authentic and Microtech recommends that you only buy their knives from an authorized dealer (retail). I had to email them back and ask what makes it a fake to find out. This information should be made available to the entire public not to just people like myself who took the time to email back and forth and call them to find out. If they prosecute vendors that's great however for guys looking to buy a good used Microtech from a private individual including other ODT members and because that knife may still set them back a couple of hundred dollars Microtech should show how to spot a fake.

Back
Top Bottom