• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Update - 1/8/202 - Prostate Surgery & Therapy See post 1

cullyhog

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
Update - 1/7/202 - Started new thread dealing with ongoing cancer here:
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/cancer-issues-following-prostrate-surgery.2114404/

Thought I would start a new conversation on my upcoming prostate surgery after commenting in the posts.
First: prayers are welcome as I am a little more than nervous and anxious with this.

Background: Was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in August. Gleason # was 9 in a couple of areas. It is the aggressive type.
After several doctor visits and testing (CT Scans and bone scans) with two Radiologist Oncologist and two Surgeons I decided the best outcome for me is to remove the prostate. Surgeon will also remove and area around the prostrate. Worse case they will come back and do radiation if needed.

They are doing the robotic type surgery. The nerve and glands will be cut in order to remove all cancerous tissue. After lengthy discussions with my wife of 46 years (I'm 65 as of September) we felt getting the cancer out was upmost. We will deal with the side effects later whatever they may be. As long as I can continue watch my grand-kids grow up, and be active the rest will be ok.

Today November 6, 2019 - Starting the clean-out taking that wonderful Magnesium Citrate. Should not be as bad as a colon clean-out but we will see! Half a dose at noon and another dose at 6pm. Then shower and wipe down with some of the antibacterial pads they sent me home with at the preop appointment. I'm on liquid diet until midnight then nothing - no eats no drinking anything after midnight. Got to be at hospital at 10 in the morning. Oh, Northside Cherokee is where I'll be. Really impressed with the new hospital and all the docs and nurses I've seen have been more than kind and considerate.

November 7, 2019 - Woke up not as hungry as I first thought I would be. Nothing to eat or drink since midnight. Headed to Northside Cherokee. Got there at 10:00 and checked in. Waiting on pre-op staff to come get me. About 10:20 they come and we start IV's, meet with anesthesia Dr and several nurses. Dr. Rosenfeld checks in - he's waiting on me. Seems they are ahead of schedule.

After some more pre-work I'm on the way to the OR. Crowded little place, not what I expected! I remember lying there and someone telling me something, them whoof - time and matter left me! Next thing I remember was waking up in my room, my wife beside me and nurses around me. First phase of this operation was a success - I WOKE UP! I then find out it's almost 6:00 at night and surgery was over 5 hours. Everything coming back into focus except my right eye. I was told it was taped shut and maybe it had a scratch. Don't remember much anything else on Thursday.

November 8, 2019- Friday
- Fairly good night except not being able to focus my right eye. Wife had the conversation with the Dr. after the surgery on Thursday and told me they found more cancer than originally shown on the scan. He had to remove a little on the bladder as well as the rectum. Also removed one or two lymph nodes as well. It was just a long and intense surgery. He did say is did not lay be back as far as normal in order to assist my breathing. Really impressed with the care and concerns of everyone at Northside during my stay.

Dr. came in the check on my Friday night. Wasn't going home Friday due to everything still draining through tubes. Pain was kept in check with a single pill every 4 hours. Typical hospital at night. As soon as you find that just right spot and dose off they come in to draw blood or give you a pill! That's ok - they are keeping me comfortable.

November 9, 2019 - Saturday - Still on liquid diet waiting on the elusive bowel movement. I haven't had solid food in a few days so not sure what they expect! Staff is very good, always checking in but not bothering me no more than needed. Dr. comes in and accesses drainage and charts. We decide it's best if we stay another day. Went back on normal solid meals (diabetic) so at least the food is good.

November 10, 2019 - Sunday - Pretty much like Saturday. Still having draining in the stomach pump and bladders still putting out plenty of fluids. I stay on pain meds every 4-6 hours, walking around the corriders, drinking fluids. Dr and I agree that I come home Monday and continue everything at home. Once again the staff at Northside from cleaning people, the food prep, doctors and nurses and first rate. Falcons beat the Saints - luck must be changing!

MONDAY NOVEMBER 11, 2019 - I'M HOME! Finally back at the house. Getting settled in, better half (closer to better 90%) gone to get my meds. Appointment on Wednesday to remove the cath and then the following Wednesday to get a detailed report of everything done and what's in the future. Feel like I'm on the right track to rid this nasty cancer from me. The next few months will be recovery and healing.

A quick note to all you guys - Thanks again for the support and prayers. And thanks to friends and family as well. Everyone made this easier. I could feel the positive energy from everyone. Believe me it helps!

Sunday November 24, 2019 - update with questions
Went in for a recheck on the 13th and got put back in the hospital for two days due to dehydration and sickness. Finally back home again on the 15th feeling a little better. Got the catheter removed on the 20th and now know what you guys meant. What a relief to have that thing out! Also got the stomach drain removed. I am dealing with incontinence now and what a pain.

Question: How long before it took you guys to start getting some control over your bladder? I am trying the exercise to firm up the muscle but don't see results yet. Wife reminds me its only been 17 days since a very intense surgery and not to rush it. Guess I'm going to evaluate every adult diaper on the market before I'm done. I do feel blessed to be this far and not have but a little pain.

Next Dr. appointment on Wednesday the 27th to figure out how to get rid of the remaining cancer that may be lurking. Not sure what that will entail.
Happy Thanksgiving to you guys!

Monday December 16, 2019 - P.E>T. Scan tomorrow and Dr followup on Thursday
Having the scan because they found what could be small cell carcinoma lurking after testing what was removed. We need to find out if everything cancerous was removed or something is left. Based on the scan we will go from there with chemo, radiation, or some other form of treatment. Can Doctor Garrot is handling that. Got faith in him from our first meeting.

Started my Pelvic Floor Muscle therapy Friday so now working on that part of the puzzle. Leakage is a strange thing - some days are good and some days I'm just a drippy faucet running constantly. It should start to improve with my exercise now. Feel like I should buy stock in Depends and other products! Left a little funny down in the last post for you. Found it better to laugh than cry! Even though it makes me pee :D.

Wednesday January 8, 2020 - Second therapy visit for bladder control or Pelvic Floor Muscles as they call it.
Just a quick update on the therapy. Second visit today was adding more exercising. Now doing lifts while holding the pelvic muscles. Anything that helps I'm all for it. Also found most of the things I eat and drink are acidic and can prevent the muscles and bladder from working as they should or at least slow the process. Will try to adjust the diet to get a jump on this. Things seem to be going decently on this part of recovery as I can see small improvements in leakage. After trying pads, guards, and diapers of all kinds of brands believe it or not Kroger brand women XL work best for me! They just fit and hold without leakage. Wife says the purple looks good too ;). Anything for the wifey! Side note they are the cheaper of the ones I tried.

Won't update therapy again unless I have a major breakthrough or I'm finished. Concentrating on Chemo now. See link at the top of this post. As again, thanks for the support guys.
Rod

Yup, Good luck and Godspeed. You sound very informed and prepared. Have heard nothing but great things about Northside Cherokee.

I did this 15 months ago. It was in the prostate but not outside it. Had it removed. Just couple of predictable workable side effects. Did the robotic surgery in Athens. Wish you well.

Thought I would start a new conversation on my upcoming prostate surgery after commenting in the posts.
First: prayers are welcome as I am a little more than nervous and anxious with this.

Background: Was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in August. Gleason # was 9 in a couple of areas. It is the aggressive type.
After several doctor visits and testing (CT Scans and bone scans) with two Radiologist Oncologist and two Surgeons I decided the best outcome for me is to remove the prostate. Surgeon will also remove and area around the prostrate. Worse case they will come back and do radiation if needed.

They are doing the robotic type surgery. The nerve and glands will be cut in order to remove all cancerous tissue. After lengthy discussions with my wife of 46 years (I'm 65 as of September) we felt getting the cancer out was upmost. We will deal with the side effects later whatever they may be. As long as I can continue watch my grand-kids grow up, and be active the rest will be ok.

Today November 6, 2019 - Starting the clean-out taking that wonderful Magnesium Citrate. Should not be as bad as a colon clean-out but we will see! Half a dose at noon and another dose at 6pm. Then shower and wipe down with some of the antibacterial pads they sent me home with at the preop appointment. I'm on liquid diet until midnight then nothing - no eats no drinking anything after midnight. Got to be at hospital at 10 in the morning. Oh, Northside Cherokee is where I'll be. Really impressed with the new hospital and all the docs and nurses I've seen have been more than kind and considerate.

I will update later. Stay tuned.
Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom