• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Updates on Changes

What about marking items gone, sold, etc.....when it happens?

As much as they police the threads, mods could personally close them with a click since some people aren't competent enough to see the "mark as gone" button in the right corner.

They could rename the button SOLD, make it an animated gif thats 3 times larger and possibly people would see it.

They could auto terminate any thread that has no activity in 2-3 weeks with a button that allows the poster to reactivate the thread. They could listen to reports of people that post an item then never respond. 3-5 reports and the mod could close the thread. If the person ever shows back up, they can always reopen it.

Any thread over 6 months old could insta-lock preventing 3 year old zombie threads.

All these have been complained about by others and myself. Seems they are more interested in making changes that generate profit that changes that improve the experience.

I think Disabling comments by default was a mistake.
I know Upper Management listened to a few outspoken members when making this a default setting BUT.....
Actions speak louder than words.
Look at the 1st 100 posts in Rifles or Handguns.
Only 25% of the members left the comments disabled.
That means 75% of the membership does not like that default setting.
Of those 25% how many does not know they are disabled or how to enable them.
I say the majority is speaking now by enabling comments and Management should do the same by reversing their decision

No offense intended here, but when the majority doesn't like something they make a lot of noise, and this change has gone over without much outrage. (at least that I've seen.)

Whoaaaa. So now for $1/day the douche bags with overpriced stuff can force me to look at their ads every day?
Or 50 douche bags can fill up the whole first page with overpriced crap?

Not a fan here unless I'm missing something.

I'm always trying different things in an effort to get away from traditional advertising. Most of our ads come from third parties that I have no real control over. If we ever got to 10,000 yearly supporters I would shut off all ads besides the one at the top.

The "paid sticky" price will float depending on how much demand there is. The goal is to never have more than 5 "paid sticky" ads in one category. Right now it's $3 in handguns, $2 in accessories, and still $1 everywhere else. There's also still the chance that I get rid of it at some point, I'm on the fence about it currently.

How about no bumps allowed. There is a relist feature. You can respond to a post but you cant bump without being provoked.

Comment section should be perma open.

already hate sticky post. dont ads generate enough revenue? I have no idea what it cost to run a site.

Purchase/Sale Value: $25,991 USD
Daily Revenue: $71 USD
Monthly Revenue: $2,167 USD
Yearly Revenue: $25,981 USD
Daily Unique Visitors: 21,902
Monthly Unique Visitors: 666,628
Yearly Unique Visitors: 7,994,230

Are those numbers supposed to mean something?

As much as they police the threads, mods could personally close them with a click since some people aren't competent enough to see the "mark as gone" button in the right corner.

They could rename the button SOLD, make it an animated gif thats 3 times larger and possibly people would see it.

They could auto terminate any thread that has no activity in 2-3 weeks with a button that allows the poster to reactivate the thread. They could listen to reports of people that post an item then never respond. 3-5 reports and the mod could close the thread. If the person ever shows back up, they can always reopen it.

Any thread over 6 months old could insta-lock preventing 3 year old zombie threads.

All these have been complained about by others and myself. Seems they are more interested in making changes that generate profit that changes that improve the experience.

All ads older than 45 days with no new activity are supposed to get moved and closed automatically by the system, is that not happening? Threads in the general forums stick around forever currently.

Originally we wanted to have it say "Sold!" but people complained because they might be closing their ad for a number of other reasons and didn't want it labeled in such a way.

There is no "they" when it comes to changes like this, it's just me, and I think I do a decent job of addressing complaints that are held by a large number of members. And the fact that I would like to generate a profit is usually the main impetus for addressing those complaints and making changes that I think will improve the experience. If the experience sucks then no one would use the site.

No offense intended here, but when the majority doesn't like something they make a lot of noise, and this change has gone over without much outrage. (at least that I've seen.)

I'm always trying different things in an effort to get away from traditional advertising. Most of our ads come from third parties that I have no real control over. If we ever got to 10,000 yearly supporters I would shut off all ads besides the one at the top.

The "paid sticky" price will float depending on how much demand there is. The goal is to never have more than 5 "paid sticky" ads in one category. Right now it's $3

All ads older than 45 days with no new activity are supposed to get moved and closed automatically by the system, is that not happening? Threads in the general forums stick around forever currently.

Originally we wanted to have it say "Sold!" but people complained because they might be closing their ad for a number of other reasons and didn't want it labeled in such a way.

There is no "they" when it comes to changes like this, it's just me, and I think I do a decent job of addressing complaints that are held by a large number of members. And the fact that I would like to generate a profit is usually the main impetus for addressing those complaints and making changes that I think will improve the experience. If the experience sucks then no one would use the site.

No sir. There are ads still here from last year with no activity for months. Some even have the last comment as "is this still for sale?" With no response.

The "paid sticky" price will float depending on how much demand there is. The goal is to never have more than 5 "paid sticky" ads in one category. Right now it's $3 in handguns, $2 in accessories, and still $1 everywhere else. There's also still the chance that I get rid of it at some point, I'm on the fence about it currently.

Are those numbers supposed to mean something?

I use my Truck but I'd like a better one or to make improvements. Everything on the planet isnt perfect except for Glock. It doesnt hurt to improve perfection.

I have no idea what/when the ad was. Not sure how old it was but, it was an unresponsive post that was bumped a few times. Think it was the second one I saw. Next time I will try and do a better job of being observant.

I use my Truck but I'd like a better one or to make improvements. Everything on the planet isnt perfect except for Glock. It doesnt hurt to improve perfection.

I have no idea what/when the ad was. Not sure how old it was but, it was an unresponsive post that was bumped a few times. Think it was the second one I saw. Next time I will try and do a better job of being observant.
bahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom