• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Uppers $26.99. 24 hr sale

Dust covers serve a purpose. But, to each his own.

Funny how the Browning BAR doesn't have a dust cover & still works just fine with even higher pressure cartridges in the field.

Just because the AR was designed that way back in the 50's doesn't make it absolutely necessary.

Funny how the Browning BAR doesn't have a dust cover & still works just fine with even higher pressure cartridges in the field.

Just because the AR was designed that way back in the 50's doesn't make it absolutely necessary.

I didn't reply to ruffle any feathers. But, a 5.56 round is not a 30. 06 so it takes less to jam one up. Then again, we used to stick condoms on the end of the barrel to keep the rain out. Ignore me guys. My experience with the AR / M16 and a couple of dollars will buy you a cup of coffee in any restaurant and I don't know as much as those of you here... or it appears that way. Ignore me. Apologies.

Dust covers serve a purpose. But, to each his own.
Yes they do. They serve to keep crap out of the chamber when you are rolling around in dust or snow or mud in combat. Mine is a hunting rifle. No need for it. How many other semi auto hunting rifles can you name that have a dust cover other than combat rifles.

I didn't reply to ruffle any feathers. But, a 5.56 round is not a 30. 06 so it takes less to jam one up. Then again, we used to stick condoms on the end of the barrel to keep the rain out. Ignore me guys. My experience with the AR / M16 and a couple of dollars will buy you a cup of coffee in any restaurant and I don't know as much as those of you here... or it appears that way. Ignore me. Apologies.
No big deal but I was issued my first M16 right at 44 years ago and I have been building and working on guns for decades as well so I think I have a little experience. Like you said: to each his own. I have no problems with anyone who feels the need for a brass deflector, even when they are not left handed or a forward assist or dust cover. That's none of my business but I have no need of any of them. And no feathers ruffled here. It's all good. We are on the same side.

My hunting ARx39's have dust covers. I mainly use them to tell me that the gun is verified loaded by closing them up. Plus walking in the woods in the dark; one less thing to snag. However, my LR308 is a slick side and works just fine also in the woods.

My hunting ARx39's have dust covers. I mainly use them to tell me that the gun is verified loaded by closing them up. Plus walking in the woods in the dark; one less thing to snag. However, my LR308 is a slick side and works just fine also in the woods.
Obviously I meant other than an AR. Like I said, it's all up to the individual. I build mine the way I like them.

Back
Top Bottom