• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

URBAN NIGHT NAVIGATION DOWNTOWN ATL ON FOOT.

Clearly we are going to argue. So in this corner a SOF veteran and in your corner a ? Why head shots? Because in total darkness the only visible light will be that of the flashlight on your forehead bouncing around in the darkness. And yes clearly I have never attached a flashlight to my head in a combat scenario. And strobe out I like to dance in strobe lights it's a blast.

sounds like you made it out without getting shot in the head to me. Cant really see your argument seeing how what you described was a actual combat situation!
This scenario isnt what I consider a combat situation.

This is urban movement through heavily populated areas.

But by all means, enjoy your parties and enjoy all of the head shots your heart desires, Sir.

sounds like you made it out without getting shot in the head to me. Cant really see your argument seeing how what you described was a actual combat situation!
This scenario isnt what I consider a combat situation.

This is urban movement through heavily populated areas.

But by all means, enjoy your parties and enjoy all of the head shots your heart desires, Sir.
Don't be like that man. You know I'm right you just don't want to admit it.

Why do your posts get larger is that supposed to add some sort of dramatic affect?

Don't be like that man. You know I'm right you just don't want to admit it.

Why do your posts get larger is that supposed to add some sort of dramatic affect?
I really dont know. Im not good with these computers.

I do understand what youre saying. All im saying is in the shtf scenarios that the op is preparing for will not be as dangerous as a war or conflict imo. I wouldnt want to walk around with my gun and light out all of the time. That being said a headlamp is extremely light weight, it takes the same batteries as my weapons light. I would not burn it when walking or in any situation that i needed to be unnoticed. If you breach, turn it off. But if i need it to spot check, they are a great tool that doesnt need much space and they dont look too tactical

I simply don't like head or cap mounted lights. If you turn your head, you possibly either illuminate something you'd rather not have others see, or you temporarily ruin the night vision of the person you're looking at. JMO, only applies for me.

I simply don't like head or cap mounted lights. If you turn your head, you possibly either illuminate something you'd rather not have others see, or you temporarily ruin the night vision of the person you're looking at. JMO, only applies for me.
I love my .99 harborFreight headlamp. I get lost trying to get to my deer stand ever time with out it (we got a coyote problem I'm working on) . As far as the urban warfare or whatever? They gonna have to come to my boonies if they want me.......and better watch their step. The only light they'd see (if such drastic things happened) would be the lil red light on my gen1 NV (Ya, I'm saving up for the infrared lol). No disrespect intended toward OP's meant whatsoever. I've thought about strolling through Atl one night with a conceal , (2) 20rd mags , and a bottle of water. I enjoyed the thread and no offence, Really. Thank You for Your Service Bypass and I've shared the story behind your name many times God Bless

to each their own. I just wanted to give input.

YES VERY GOOD IDEA WITH THE HEAD LAMP AND I HAVE A STREAM LIGHT LED HEAD LAMP IN MY PACK. I ONLY HAVE THAT FOR SETTING UP BASE CAMP BECAUSE IM STARTING TO FIND OUT JUST HOW BAD THE "WHITE LIGHT" MAKES YOU STAND OUT. IM LOOKING INTO GETTING A RED LED HEAD LAMP FOR FUTURE TRIPS BUT FOR THIS ONE I FELT LIKE WE HAD ENOUGH LIGHT BUT AGAIN IN A GRID DOWN SCENARIO I WOULD STILL WANT TO USE AS LITTLE LIGHT AS NEEDED.

Good headlamps are awesome.
I have several that output up to 1000 real lumens.
Really good ones are around $100, but are awesome.
Waterproof of course, all aluminum, ideally running on rechargeable (removable) lithium 18650 batteries. Good lights have a built in extremely dim red led as well, and are almost infinatly adjustable for the output levels you want to use. I first used these bushwacking on expedition races. The output will pierce through the brush when needed, or turn them down to whatever u like.
I would definitely carry one in your scenario. But walk in the dark. Here's a scenario, making your way in the darkness you hear voices and make your way to identify a group. For whatever reason you find it necessary to make identification. Maybe they are harrassing you.
You could click on 1000 lm, which I promise will blind them completely momentarily, make absolute identification, staying mostly behind cover and ready.
So many good reasons.
You could beam spot 200 yds down and across a river to spot crossings... which your cheap 20 lumen headlamp will never do. Just my $.02.

I like Felix headlamps the best. Red light options also. Just needs to be the 18650 models (3.7v) batteries or equivalent (dual cr-123's). Not AA or AAA. (Not enough power).

Also Zebra lights are very nice for their size. (But customer service is marginal.).

A good HL's usefulness to weight ratio makes it well worth dumping something else out of your pack. It could open up new doors for you. Again to the river..
You and yours could borrow a canoe and make way down river mid night. Maybe 3 guys w gear in a canoe is not ideal. And you dont want to swim with your gear (by the way you need to line the inside of your small pack with a drybag). You could make it if the guy in the front had a good light to spot check the river. Otherwise, that much weight wouldnt even make it down the hooch at night without swimming.
You could go 30+ mps down hills on borrowed bikes? Cant do that with a handheld.

Back
Top Bottom