• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

URBAN NIGHT NAVIGATION DOWNTOWN ATL ON FOOT.

The biggest issue will be the weather. You will get cold and hungry in the rain, I highly recommend lighting any fires for warmth or cooking under a bridge so you don't have to worry about rain. Sometimes you can also find dry wood or building materials under there to get it started.
I would be afraid of drawing unwanted attention with a fire, being a stationary target, plus temporary loss of night vision (if dark). Put on lightweight parka and keep moving.

SO MY BEST FRIEND AND I ARE DISCUSSING A SCENARIO FROM BUGGING OUT FROM DOWNTOWN ATL. SO FAR WE KNOW WE WILL BE ON FOOT, NO CELL PHONES, GPS, OR ABLE TO PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM ANYONE. WE WILL HAVE LOCAL MAPS THAT WE WILL FIGURE OUT CERTAIN ROUTES, HAND HELD HAM RADIO TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH OTHERS AS WE REACH CERTAIN CHECK POINTS(FOR SAFETY AND TO TIME THE TRIP BETWEEN CHECK POINTS). WE WILL HAVE ALL GEAR, FOOD, WATER AND SECURITY IN OUR PACKS. WE WILL PLAY THIS AS THE THE STREETS ARE CLOGGED WITH VEHICLES AND WERE AT A BUSINESS MEETING OF SORTS DOWNTOWN. THIS SCENARIO WILL BE CONDUCTED OVER NIGHT AND OUR WIVES WILL LEAVE A VEHICLE AT A LOCATION THAT WILL BE DETERMINED THAT NIGHT. WE WILL FILM THE ADVENTURE AND PLAN ON HAVING OTHER HAM RADIO OPERATORS HELPING.

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE OR DOES ANYONE WANT TO JOIN US IN A FRIENDLY TEAM CHALLENGE?

What ever route you choose have pre-positioned supply's of what you may need on your route or routes. Such, as water, anmo or food it may help in case you pick some one up or just OLD MURHPY'S LAW, COMES INTO PLAY.

Your trial run will lack in one item, and it will be the most important item. Your mindset at present will be completely different than when needed, and that's the desire to live, to survive! Get that "I can stop and call for a ride" out of your mind, and move like everything you do, will either let you live or get you killed! Then and only then will you a successful test.

Your trial run will lack in one item, and it will be the most important item. Your mindset at present will be completely different than when needed, and that's the desire to live, to survive! Get that "I can stop and call for a ride" out of your mind, and move like everything you do, will either let you live or get you killed! Then and only then will you a successful test.

I think we should have an ODT "hunt them down" party! LOL Make it more realistic

Oh I have a suggestion....Make this run when the weather is ABSOLUTE CRAP. Drought, 102 degrees, or Tornado Weather, Ice Storm....Your mind will change quick,.

I understand the point of a hike with gear to see what kind of shape you are in. BUT, all the street lights will be on, you will have to wait for traffic, interstates and railways will be active. The only hostilities be the standard everyday hazards. Why not move this to a very rural location, Cohutta, Warwoman, Piedmont National Forrest, or a farming area in the east or southern part of the state. There should be very little to no traffic. You could have someone blindfold you and drop you off with instructions that you would meet them within a five mile radius at a known landmark such as a bridge or intersection. Using your Ham radios you start describing your surroundings, road names, landmarks, store names,,, whatever. Then with either your compass or your directions from Ham operators you navigate to your assigned meeting point. You can always have your phone with you, just turned off in your pack, just in case you cant make it. If you accomplish this a few times, then you could up the ante and do the same but make it a land nav. using a topo map and compass to a assigned location.
I understand that you initially were talking about urban navigation, but with all the lights on and known streets and landmarks you would basically just we taking a walk at night. Why not make it a training experience.

FIRST OFF RETIRED GSP THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR ALL OF US. YES I AGREE WITH THE RURAL AREA BUT I LIVE IN A PRETTY RURAL AREA AND SPEND TONS OF TIME IN THE WOODS. I HAVE NOT SPENT MUCH TIME IN THE URBAN AREAS SO THATS WHY THIS IS JUST OUR "FIRST" SCENARIO WITH MANY MORE TO COME. THIS IS MORE FOR MY BUDDY AS HE TRAVELS TO ATL SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK AS I NEVER DO UNLESS GOING TO CATCH A PLANE. EVEN WITH ALL THE POWER AND LIGHTS ON IT WILL BE JUST LIKE A WALK AT NIGHT BUT THATS JUST WHAT WE NEED TO START, WERE CRAWLING BEFORE WERE RUNNING.

Just out of curiosity, why north?

BECAUSE WE BOTH LIVE NORTH OF ATL... ME WAY NORTH!!!

If I can "get the drop on you" can I keep your stuff?
Since it is just an experiment... you know... for science... :)

YES AND NOW THAT I HAVE MORE FOLKS WANTING TO GET "INVOLVED" WITH OUR SCENARIO I MAY HAVE TO BRING SOME MORE HARDWARE THEN EXPECTED. BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Whoa. It's gone from them doing a night time nav exercise with ham radio support to waking up in a bathtub full of ice missing kidneys.

LETS HOPE NOT BUT HEY THIS WILL BE NATURAL SELECTION AT ITS FINEST.

The biggest issue will be the weather. You will get cold and hungry in the rain, I highly recommend lighting any fires for warmth or cooking under a bridge so you don't have to worry about rain. Sometimes you can also find dry wood or building materials under there to get it started.

I AGREE BUT NO FIRES ARE PLANNED FOR THIS TRIP AS I DO NOT PLAN ON STOPPING BUT TO EAT A PACK OF SMOKED SALMON AND CRACKERS.

So, in your scenario, you are starting from downtown ATL. Where were your bugout/get home bags at beginning of SHTF? How will you retrieve them?
Are they always stocked with all the stuff you're discussing?
Sounds like an interesting excercise, good luck, in for results.

VERY GOOD NOW YOUR THINKING... YES WE WILL ACT LIKE WE ALREADY HAVE OUR GEAR IN OUR DAILY DRIVERS(AND I REALLY DO) BUT TRAFFIC WAS SO JAMMED UP THE VEHICLE WAS USELESS SO THE HIKE BEGAN. KINDA LIKE SNOWPOCALYPICS GRIDLOCK.

YES CORRECT... THATS WHY IM SETTING THE RULES AND LIKE ANY TRAINING/SCENARIO YOU HAVE TO GET INTO THE MOMENT OR AT LEAST AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN.

I think we should have an ODT "hunt them down" party! LOL Make it more realistic

YES THE MORE THE MERRIER I SAY... BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND US FIRST!!! LOL

Oh I have a suggestion....Make this run when the weather is ABSOLUTE CRAP. Drought, 102 degrees, or Tornado Weather, Ice Storm....Your mind will change quick,.

YES ALREADY PLANNING ON THIS TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY... MY BUDDY HAS NO IDEA YET. LOL

GUYS IM REALLY GLAD FOR THE INPUT AND I HOPE TO HAVE MORE OF THESE SCENARIOS PLANNED UP AS WE COMPLETE THIS ONE. IF ANYONE HAS ACCESS OR OWNS A LARGE TRACK OF LAND WE COULD USE FOR THE NIGHT FOR ANOTHER SCENARIO THAT WOULD BE GREAT ALSO. IF ANYONE WOULD REALLY LIKE TO JOIN US IN A FRIENDLY COMPETITION OR JUST A NICE STROLL IN THE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT AIR PLEASE PM ME. THIS ENTIRE DEAL HERE BOILS DOWN TO THIS. UNDER STRESS AND WHEN YOUR LIFE IS ON THE LINE THERES ONLY A FEW PEOPLE WHO CAN SAY WHAT AND HOW THEY WILL REACT AND RESPOND FOR SURE. THIS WILL BE AS CONTROLLED AS WE CAN MAKE IT BUT THERES ALWAYS DANGER INVOLVED JUST LIKE LIFE IN GENERAL.

psalm-144_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom