• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bump for update: US appeals court blocks ban on rapid-fire ‘bump stocks’

At the end of the day the only people that really benefited from a bump stock was the manufacturer's charging 200-300 for a 20 dollar piece of plastic. Most guys could do this before and after fairly easy with no attachments.

Anyone who thinks a FL-type law wouldn't have flown through Congress has a lot more faith in the GOP than I do, and the Dems would have been ecstatic to pass any kind of gun control at all.
It didn't "fly through congress", it died in committee. That's the whole reason Trump did it via EO 6 months after states passed legislation. The EO happened because Trump couldn't get HIS gun control through the house and senate.

It was a bone head move by Trump, one of MANY. Still the best President of my lifetime, but that's a pretty low bar.

At the end of the day the only people that really benefited from a bump stock was the manufacturer's charging 200-300 for a 20 dollar piece of plastic. Most guys could do this before and after fairly easy with no attachments.

how dare those evil manufacturers risk their time and capital to make a profit. Creating products, creating wealth, creating jobs, absolutely disgraceful.

That was my thought exactly. And why I chose to not engage. You'd think someone with 62 years on this planet could have a civil discussion without making it personal.

Oh well, he's banned. Don't think anyone will shed a tear about that.
The ban was ruled unconstitutional and there is currently no stay. It seems they are legal now, no?
Are we talking regulation or person? I'm confused.

It didn't "fly through congress", it died in committee. That's the whole reason Trump did it via EO 6 months after states passed legislation. The EO happened because Trump couldn't get HIS gun control through the house and senate.

It was a bone head move by Trump, one of MANY. Still the best President of my lifetime, but that's a pretty low bar.
It died in committee because Trump announced right away that DoJ was going to look into the ATF ruling making them legal. That stalled legislation until the momentum for any action from Congress died down.

It was the same tactic that the gun control 'round table' (that famously had Feinstein cackling with glee) had. Kick the can down the road by promising to 'look into every option' while really doing nothing.

It's hard to pass gun control laws except immediately after the fact of a major, horrific shooting. Time after time we see the gun control industry try to rush in before the public sentiment reverts back to the status quo in a few months and the political will disappears.

What Trump did with both these actions pushed the problem off the front burner and stalled any potential federal legislation.

My gut feel is that NRA probably helped him formulate this plan, but he's a canny enough politician to understand that his base would crucify him for any major gun control passed on his watch.

I'm sure he saw what happened when Clinton put all his political capital into pushing the AWB (so yes, Dems do get gun control passed, and far worse than GOPers). It destroyed his Presidency by turning control of the House over to the GOP.

The bump stock ban was a targeted thing, affecting a few thousand people at most. Compared to a 'rate limiting' federal law that would have affected all gun owners in some way, shape or form, and might also have had other stuff tacked on.

That doesn't make it right or constitutional, but it does make it smart from the political viewpoint even if you don't like how that particular sausage was made.

It died in committee because Trump announced right away that DoJ was going to look into the ATF ruling making them legal. That stalled legislation until the momentum for any action from Congress died down.

It was the same tactic that the gun control 'round table' (that famously had Feinstein cackling with glee) had. Kick the can down the road by promising to 'look into every option' while really doing nothing.

It's hard to pass gun control laws except immediately after the fact of a major, horrific shooting. Time after time we see the gun control industry try to rush in before the public sentiment reverts back to the status quo in a few months and the political will disappears.

What Trump did with both these actions pushed the problem off the front burner and stalled any potential federal legislation.

My gut feel is that NRA probably helped him formulate this plan, but he's a canny enough politician to understand that his base would crucify him for any major gun control passed on his watch.

I'm sure he saw what happened when Clinton put all his political capital into pushing the AWB (so yes, Dems do get gun control passed, and far worse than GOPers). It destroyed his Presidency by turning control of the House over to the GOP.

The bump stock ban was a targeted thing, affecting a few thousand people at most. Compared to a 'rate limiting' federal law that would have affected all gun owners in some way, shape or form, and might also have had other stuff tacked on.

That doesn't make it right or constitutional, but it does make it smart from the political viewpoint even if you don't like how that particular sausage was made.

Your faith in the NRA and Trump is mind-numbing. That's some impressive mental gymnastics there.

Tell me though, what was the last piece of democrat passed anti-gun legislation passed that still affects you today? Gun control act of 1968?

Bump stock ban... Republican
7N6 Import ban ... Democrat
AWB (No longer law) ... Democrat
922(r) ... Republican
Machine Gun Ban .... Republican

etc etc etc

Your faith in the NRA and Trump is mind-numbing. That's some impressive mental gymnastics there.

Tell me though, what was the last piece of democrat passed anti-gun legislation passed that still affects you today? Gun control act of 1968?

Bump stock ban... Republican
7N6 Import ban ... Democrat
AWB (No longer law) ... Democrat
922(r) ... Republican
Machine Gun Ban .... Republican

etc etc etc
94 AWB was passed with MASSIVE repukican support and votes.

Trump was right about a lot. Especially this.
"You know what else they say about my people? The polls, they say I have the most loyal people. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay? It’s like incredible," Trump said.

Back
Top Bottom