• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bump for update: US appeals court blocks ban on rapid-fire ‘bump stocks’

Your faith in the NRA and Trump is mind-numbing. That's some impressive mental gymnastics there.

Tell me though, what was the last piece of democrat passed anti-gun legislation passed that still affects you today? Gun control act of 1968?

Bump stock ban... Republican
7N6 Import ban ... Democrat
AWB (No longer law) ... Democrat
922(r) ... Republican
Machine Gun Ban .... Republican

etc etc etc

No 'faith' required, you just have to be realistic about the politics behind these things. Things happen for reasons, and to say that there isn't an ongoing quid-pro-quo in DC is pretty naive.

I find a lot of folks 'faith' in their elected Congress-critters being willing to protect their rights under the kind of popular and media pressure that was being put on them after Vegas to DO SOMETHING NOW also pretty naive.

Maybe a few would have stood up after Vegas but most would have gladly hopped on any bill that would get the media and the public off their backs.

And BTW, all the gun control you lay at the feet of Republicans, with the exception of the Hughes Amendment, was done via executive order.

Only the AWB was a truly separate bill (Hughes was tacked on to FOPA, a GOP pro-gun bill) and that was 100% driven by Democrats, although plenty of RINOs went along with it.

And since it's become so popular to bash the NRA, don't forget who forced the sunset provision into the AWB, something unique to that one law as far as I'm aware.

Just because WLP has turned the group into a quagmire doesn't take away from the things they got done in the past.

No 'faith' required, you just have to be realistic about the politics behind these things. Things happen for reasons, and to say that there isn't an ongoing quid-pro-quo in DC is pretty naive.

I find a lot of folks 'faith' in their elected Congress-critters being willing to protect their rights under the kind of popular and media pressure that was being put on them after Vegas to DO SOMETHING NOW also pretty naive.

Maybe a few would have stood up after Vegas but most would have gladly hopped on any bill that would get the media and the public off their backs.

And BTW, all the gun control you lay at the feet of Republicans, with the exception of the Hughes Amendment, was done via executive order.

Only the AWB was a truly separate bill (Hughes was tacked on to FOPA, a GOP pro-gun bill) and that was 100% driven by Democrats, although plenty of RINOs went along with it.

And since it's become so popular to bash the NRA, don't forget who forced the sunset provision into the AWB, something unique to that one law as far as I'm aware.

Just because WLP has turned the group into a quagmire doesn't take away from the things they got done in the past.
Stop talking over people's heads. It's a waste of breath and effort. Some have actually convinced themselves that the Republicans are the anti gun party and the Dems are the true pro gun folks. What can you do with that as your starting point? :noidea:

Being done by executive order makes it even WORSE!

The NRA told Reagan to sign FOPA with the Hughes amendment and SCOTUS would overturn it. Unfortunately, to date nobody has gotten it in front of SCOTUS. Reagan should have vetod the whole thing and demanded it clean.
The NRA drafted the import ban of 89, it was their brain child to stop the importation of Norinco firearms which the US gun industry was having a hard time competing against. Ol Wayne even spouted off some of the same nonsense then that they and you are doing now.

Wayne LaPierre, director of the association's lobbying division, said in a statement that the move would put a stop to ''media hysteria'' and ''should provide an atmosphere for a reasoned and sensible debate'' on the legitimacy of semiautomatic weapons.
The AWB wasn't a separate bill. It was an amendment to HR 3355 The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. Every Republican in the Senate except for two ( Durenberger (R-MN) and Hatfield (R-OR) ) voted in favor of it, and we will never know who supported it in the house since it was passed by a voice vote although previous votes had Republican support.

Republicans have a horrible track record when it comes to gun control. They do what Democrats dream about doing. As long as I have been alive the NRA has protected the gun industry first. They know who butters their bread and in 1989 it was Colt, S&W, Ruger, etc. I doubt today is any different. My guess is if the bump stock ban does get thrown out completely, one of the bigger boys will move into the vacuum created by Trump's executive order and make a big ol pile of money they can share with the NRA.

Stop talking over people's heads. It's a waste of breath and effort. Some have actually convinced themselves that the Republicans are the anti gun party and the Dems are the true pro gun folks. What can you do with that as your starting point? :noidea:

I have no illusions that the Democrat party is pro-gun. I have simply observed that the only time Republicans fight against gun control is when they aren't in power and most anti-gun laws I have seen come to pass in my lifetime were done by Republicans. I don't believe either party is pro-anything or anti-anything. I think they are pro-themselves and pro-power and will say anything to keep what they have and get more.

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever cast a vote for a democrat though.

I have no illusions that the Democrat party is pro-gun. I have simply observed that the only time Republicans fight against gun control is when they aren't in power and most anti-gun laws I have seen come to pass in my lifetime were done by Republicans. I don't believe either party is pro-anything or anti-anything. I think they are pro-themselves and pro-power and will say anything to keep what they have and get more.

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever cast a vote for a democrat though.
Stop talking over people's heads. It's a waste of breath and effort. :rofl:

Being done by executive order makes it even WORSE!

The NRA told Reagan to sign FOPA with the Hughes amendment and SCOTUS would overturn it. Unfortunately, to date nobody has gotten it in front of SCOTUS. Reagan should have vetod the whole thing and demanded it clean.
The NRA drafted the import ban of 89, it was their brain child to stop the importation of Norinco firearms which the US gun industry was having a hard time competing against. Ol Wayne even spouted off some of the same nonsense then that they and you are doing now.

Wayne LaPierre, director of the association's lobbying division, said in a statement that the move would put a stop to ''media hysteria'' and ''should provide an atmosphere for a reasoned and sensible debate'' on the legitimacy of semiautomatic weapons.
The AWB wasn't a separate bill. It was an amendment to HR 3355 The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. Every Republican in the Senate except for two ( Durenberger (R-MN) and Hatfield (R-OR) ) voted in favor of it, and we will never know who supported it in the house since it was passed by a voice vote although previous votes had Republican support.

Republicans have a horrible track record when it comes to gun control. They do what Democrats dream about doing. As long as I have been alive the NRA has protected the gun industry first. They know who butters their bread and in 1989 it was Colt, S&W, Ruger, etc. I doubt today is any different. My guess is if the bump stock ban does get thrown out completely, one of the bigger boys will move into the vacuum created by Trump's executive order and make a big ol pile of money they can share with the NRA.
And if Regan had demanded a 'clean' FOPA it would never have passed since Hughes was the price for a lot of the votes.

So instead of the machine gun registry closing, again affecting a few thousand people (sound familiar) you would still have a situation where states like NJ would put folks in prison because they crossed state lines with hollow point bullets in their trunk.

I agree with you that GOPers are not 'pro' gun or 2A in general, both parties are looking out for themselves, and using issues like guns and abortion to whip up votes.

But I'm so tired of people claiming that the only gun control comes when Republicans are in power. Democrats are always worse when it comes to guns.

As for the NRA protecting the gun industry... that's the job of the NSSF. I'm sure the NRA does just like the NSSF works on individual things as well.

The NRA (and the Second) is pretty useless if every gun company is driven out of business. And gun companies need to be able to legally sell to people. It's an ecosystem and I can hardly blame the NRA for working to protect companies as well as individuals.

And as for the 89 import ban, that had nothing to do with the NRA from what I could tell.

It was a response to the Tiananmen Square massacre. There may well have been more behind it but I seriously doubt anyone at Smith, Ruger or anyone else cared about Norinco as competition at the time. In 89 probably the only folks making 'assault weapons' was Colt.

Back
Top Bottom