• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

US Service Rifle 1903 - 1903A3 Discussion/ Pic Thread....

nice reading about the 03A3's. I've got a Smith Corona from Dec 42 if my research on the S# is correct. the only thing I recall without pulling it out of the safe is the barrel is marked SC 10 42 and has flaming cannons on it?

I'll take some photos next time I get it out. anything in particular to look at to see what it is that I have (correct stock/barrel/bolt/action/sights, etc)?

I've got an M1 carbine as well and would like to get a Garand to have the basic rifles covered.

A correct SC stock will have these markings in front of the trigger guard

image.jpeg

Barrel band spring cut-outs are rounded vs. squared off
image.jpeg

Cocking piece
image.jpeg

nice reading about the 03A3's. I've got a Smith Corona from Dec 42 if my research on the S# is correct. the only thing I recall without pulling it out of the safe is the barrel is marked SC 10 42 and has flaming cannons on it?

I'll take some photos next time I get it out. anything in particular to look at to see what it is that I have (correct stock/barrel/bolt/action/sights, etc)?

I've got an M1 carbine as well and would like to get a Garand to have the basic rifles covered.

Safeties have a unique font
image.jpeg

Buttplates are different
image.jpeg

I do have a CMP correct grade SC....let me know if you need any add'l pics for comparison

Sounds correct. Only a couple months difference between receiver and barrel is typical for manufacturing. Very few A3s got rearseneled so most are correct grade since they were all made new in WW2. Only thing to look for is scant stocks. Those were never issued. Google 1903 scant stocks

A correct SC stock will have these markings in front of the trigger guard

View attachment 1938630

Barrel band spring cut-outs are rounded vs. squared off
View attachment 1938641

Cocking piece
View attachment 1938640

A S-C floor plate will have a curved depression around the front bolt, Remington has a straight line as pictured above. Here is the S-C floor plate.
th

S-C and Rem both have the markings in front on the trigger guard, but only S-C will have the Diamond in the bottom right location as in the photo.

Sounds correct. Only a couple months difference between receiver and barrel is typical for manufacturing. Very few A3s got rearseneled so most are correct grade since they were all made new in WW2. Only thing to look for is scant stocks. Those were never issued. Google 1903 scant stocks

Scant stocks were mainly issued as replacement stocks, but were original on some later 1903A4's.

Back
Top Bottom