• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

US soldier dies in bear attack

Training near a landfill in Alaska where bears frequently go to feed
I assume no live ammo.
I'd like to make a trip to Alaska but that place is bad luck for my family.
My uncle went there after the war and was never heard from again and my BIL was killed in a plane crash while serving in the Army there.
I think I'd better stick to the sunny south.

I will bet that there will be a whole new set of requirements for training in Alaska after that....number one would be to be armed and able to defend yourself from said bears... The biggest problem would be is than none of the normal issued firearms for the Army are of adequate caliber for bear protection. (223/5.56, 9mm). I see a good opportunity for a govt shotgun contract available..

I will bet that there will be a whole new set of requirements for training in Alaska after that....number one would be to be armed and able to defend yourself from said bears... The biggest problem would be is than none of the normal issued firearms for the Army are of adequate caliber for bear protection. (223/5.56, 9mm). I see a good opportunity for a govt shotgun contract available..

You don't work for the gubment do you? They will require extra training and an extra line on the risk assessment sheet that nobody reads and possibly will give bear spray to the company commander and 1sg.

You don't work for the gubment do you? They will require extra training and an extra line on the risk assessment sheet that nobody reads and possibly will give bear spray to the company commander and 1sg.
That reminds me of a long ago adventure. Too long a story to tell here but your assessment sums it up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom