• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Use an original Nintendo controller with your NES Classic Mini or wii

BangBang

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
57   0
Reaction score
This may be old news to y'all, but I thought this was pretty cool. If you're looking for an extra controller, this might save you some cash.

I've been running an NES emulator on my wii for several years now. You just turn the wiimote sideways and it makes a fairly decent NES controller, but it's still not the real thing.

When VanillaGuerrilla VanillaGuerrilla started posting about the NES Classic Mini awhile back, I wasn't really interested in the console itself because I already have all those games on my wii, but I WAS interested in the controller since it uses the same connector as the wii nunchuck. I wanted to get an NES Classic controller to use with my wii emulator.

Well, it looks like the geniuses at Nintendo have decided to stop production of the Classic Mini, so prices for the console and extra controllers have gotten STUPID.

There are plenty of third party controllers on eBay for the Classic Mini that can be had pretty cheap, but they just looked a little "off" to me. I wanted a REAL controller made by Nintendo.

While browsing eBay I came across an adapter made by a company called Hyperkin. You plug an original NES controller into it converts it to the NES Classic Mini style connector!

The adapter was $9.99 shipped and I found an original NES controller, used but in good shape for $9.99 shipped.

So for a total of $20 I've got a REAL Nintendo controller that will work with wii emulation or the NES Classic Mini.

Original NES controller with 7-pin connector
IMG_0571.JPG

Hyperkin adapter that the controller plugs into
IMG_0572.JPG

The other end of the adapter plugs into a wiimote or NES Classic Mini
IMG_0574.JPG

All hooked up and ready to rock. I taped up the excess cord on the NES controller just to tidy things up.
IMG_0575.JPG

Once I went into my emulator settings and mapped out the buttons on the NES controller, it works perfectly. Time to torture my family by making them watch me play Zelda all day! LMAO!
IMG_0576.JPG

Had no idea that was possible. Sweet.
I hadn't held a real NES controller in over 20 years until I got this setup a couple weeks ago. I had been using my wiimote turned sideways for years, so the real NES controller felt weird at first, but after playing some Zelda, Contra and Bionic Commando with it I'm back in the groove now! LOL

You can hit eBay and search "Nintendo controller adapter" or "NES controller adapter" to find the Hyperkin adapter.

I had to go into my emulator settings and assign the buttons on the NES controller for it to work properly, but it was easy to do and I have the option to turn "turbo" on for each button if I want, which helps on some games. From what I read online, if you're going to use the adapter on the Classic Mini, it's plug-and-play.

I threw the box away before I got any pics, but here's what it looks like.

IMG_0585.JPG

Back
Top Bottom