• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Use of deadly force in the defense of others- issues? Would you, could you?

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
This is sort of an extension of the discussion on hitting a bystander, and the often discussed subject of the use of deadly force in the defense of others.

Some ODT say that they have no problem using deadly force defending others, and others say that only in defense of themselves or family.

Read http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...in-babies-won-charged/1ABiox3No3aQBRWQHxIzCM/ and think about what you would do.

Points to consider:

1. Freeman (the shooter) did not "stand his ground", he interjected himself into a matter in someone else house. He "moved to" the threat.

2. There was absolutely no threat to the shooter.

3. The forcible felony that justified the shooting posed no threat at all to Freeman (the shooter), his family, or anyone with whom he was was personally involved.

4. We don't know what risks were posed for the infants or their mother, but I think it is safe to assume it was an extremely close quarters shooting.

5. Would you respond with your gun to a scene you only knew from a hysterical 12 year old?

In Georgia you may defend another as if you were in their shoes, Georgia has no explicit conditions for defense of others.

So it doesn't matter if the forcible felony was committed against a family member or the shooter himself, and it doesn't matter if there was a direct threat to the shooter at all.

Of course anything can happen.

Every circumstance is different. That guy has as priors domestic violence by strangulation and arson. His earthly departure is a benefit to civilized society.
To answer your question, I, nor anybody else who hasn't "been there", has no idea what they will do, until they do it (or not).
For example, that woman stabbing those babies locally.... If I had been there and a child had run out of that house bloody and screaming... I'm pretty sure I'd have gone in.

Dont want to fully explain circumstances ATM but, I got the shirt and the shirt only cost $5000. So if you feel the need to help people, just know in some cases lawyers like making life difficult since thats how they make money. So be prepared to hire one reguardless of how right you are and what the law says.

What G-LSU and Macon said. The answer is do what you think is RIGHT, but be prepared to defend your judgement in court. Even if you avoid criminal prosecution, you may have to face a civil court where the rules are very different.

Luckily, I have never been in a situation where I had to pull a weapon. I feel that I would know what do if I have to stop a really bad situation.

Back
Top Bottom