• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

used or old kevlar armor

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
image.jpg

A used law enforcement " bulletproof vest " is affordable, and currently unregulated if the buyer is a law-abuding citizen.

A used, or even "like new, unissued, old stock" military PASGT vest ( flak vest or flak jacket ) can be bought for $50 -$100. Although intended to protect against shrapnel from grenades and exploding artillery shells, numerous tests have shown them to stop pistol bullets also (but not any bottle-necked rifle rounds).

A common objection to anybody considering purchasing used soft body armor is that it is, or will soon be, expired. All Kevlar / aramid fiber vests come with a five year expiration date from the date of manufacture. it is sad that this is based on age and not necessarily amount of use because the expiration date remains in effect even for vests that were worn little or not at all and then stored away under climate-controlled conditions away from UV radiation (sunlight).

I recently "Upgraded" my personal bullet-resistant vest. I've grown fatter over the decades, and I stopped using my Point Blank body armor, Class IIA, size Large, from the late 1980s. My new vest is from the late 1990s, is size XXL, and tested to NIJ class II standards, and will probably "stop" any handgun caliber, although the Backface Deformation or "backface signature" from something like a 44 magnum could be very injurious to the wearer.

So, my old vest got another round of ballistic testing, last week.

PRIOR TESTING:I have tested it before, when I stopped using it regularly and just put it away. When it was 10 years old I pulled it out of the gun safe and shot it a couple times. It stopped everything it was supposed to stop and even more! That Level IIA vest, 10 years old, stopped a .22lr Stinger round at 1500+ f.p.s., a .45 acp 230 grain FMJ from a 5" bbl, and a .357 mag soft-point deer hunting load from an 8" bbl revolver.

(more in a minute... see post below)...

9474A6DC-5B08-40C4-B47B-FC47931CB3D0.jpeg
8A308521-B729-4431-9B82-7ADCBC88CAC7.jpeg

Later, in 2007 when the vest was almost 20 years old, I tested it against knife stabs.
It was never "rated for" any protection against stabbing, but I thought it would be useful for that. I tested it with a really sharp, pointy-tipped lockback knife, which BROKE on the second stab. The tip got 1/2" thru the opposite side of the vest before the blade brole closer to the hinge.

Then I used a military bayonet--one that I'd honed and always kept sharp.
The bayonet got through, but only 1.5" penetration. That was with me stabbing it as hard as I could with both hands. The vest was duct taped to a bag of potting soil to simulate the flexibility of flesh.

At nearly 20 years old, the kevlar vest seemed to do a lot of good against knives.

FA088102-3EEB-4272-839E-CC4631590649.jpeg
F694163F-69F1-40A6-9E7D-6F8D19A69C12.jpeg
A2F4D0CF-1292-4CAD-A8F3-04E256CBAC01.jpeg

Last week I tested my late-1980's Kevlar (aramid fiber) vest again.
So it was approximately 30 years old.

9 x 19mm from a Glock 19: The vest stopped it.
This shot was fired from 15 ft. with a big block of red Georgia clay behind it.
The clay was dented about the size of a golf ball cut in half.

A .45 acp fired from a Colt Commander 1911 was easily stopped, when the backing material was a couple of boxes of breakfast cereal. I wanted something softer than the previous shot. The vest wasn't even damaged much.
But the cereal box was badly crushed and ripped.

A .357 magnum round fired from a 6" barreled revolver didn't penetrate the old vest, but it really stretched and ripped the kevlar up to about 3/4 of the way though.
It also pulverized the cereal boxes behind the vest.

It was not said that it would not stop(After 5 years) as certified, Rather it would not guaranty that it would stop what it was certified for(After 5 years) , due to the fact of Kevlar and the like start to degrade after five years. Storage , handling , weather conditions used in play a major factor in this!

3D636B4B-D4E7-4996-A67A-1A98C7F3469F.jpeg

Good point. The other day in the gun shop I saw a ceramic level IV plate that had a
five-year warranty expiration date too.
Yet as a matter of science, there's nothing that degrades with age in a hard body armor plate.

P.S. I guess my photo doesn't show high enough resolution to read the writing. I'm not sure if that particular photo is of the ceramic plate. I also looked at level IIIA (pistol) and III+ (plus= 3100 fps rifle) plates made of steel.
But I definitely handled, and took a picture of, a ceramic level 4 plate that said it had a five year warranty only.

0D0B3318-D275-4889-9893-53ACE8F99B64.jpeg
677E738D-849A-4F50-9074-C8825EDFD93C.jpeg

I tested my vest for one more round the other day.

9mm NATO spec.
124 gr. FMJ at 1200 f.p.s. from a pistol.
It caught the bullet, and only about half the kevlar layers
were penetrated.
As with the .357 magnum last week,
backface deformation was big
and looked very painful to any wearer of the vest taking a hit.

" The other day in the gun shop I saw a ceramic level IV plate that had a
five-year warranty expiration date too.
Yet as a matter of science, there's nothing that degrades with age in a hard body armor plate."

You are right , just don't as a general rule drop them on a hard surface.

Back
Top Bottom