• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Using 4064?

4064 is to rifles what Unique is to pistols--very versatile, but likely not the best at anything. My Grandfather used reloads filled with 4064 in his 257 Roberts, 50 years ago. I inherited a couple boxes of reloads with his gun.

I was probably over generalizing the performance of 4064. It does get used a lot.
I just never found it to be the top performer in the load manuals for my purposes, which do not include the 308. So, I have avoided it and stuck with aa4350, imr4451, and Varget.

for 223/5.56 I have been using Ramshot TAC powder a lot. One thing I like is they have separate sections for 223 and 5.56 mil spec loads for the TAC powder. Nice if you are loading LC brass and 77gr HPBT bullets and want a bit more juice...

I've done a pretty involved study between 4046, 3031, Varget and Benchmark in 308 with 175 and 180 grain projectiles. 4046 wins standard deviation and accuracy every time with good muzzle velocity at safe pressures. Temperature curves are not as good as some of the newer powders but I'm willing to calculate temp vs velocity when shooting for precision.

4046 is not good however for 223. Not that it will cause damage but the case just doesn't have enough volume to get the velocity you want in a 223.

3031 is a decent go between powder for the two calibers. Some people don't like it but it's easier to work with in a powder trickier than 4046 and gives ME pretty good results in each.

I love 3031. I bought a bunch of it for $5 per lb and thought I'd just blast it out of 8mm Mauser but once I started loading with it I was more than satisfied with its performance in .223 - 8mm.

Back
Top Bottom