• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

USMC 1943 Knife

OP,
Kinfolks was one of the early MFG. of M3 trench knives... There are 3 versions to M3 trench knives... 1st is blade marked and dated, according to MFG. Then there are Blade Marked only... no more date... these being 2nd version... Then they finished marking them with the 3rd version being on the crossguard... 3rd version are the most common... If there is NO signed letter by him...including photos... and notarized... Then it becomes a family heirloom... The knife will Not command any big money, with the finish missing off the blade...and the damage to the leather washers on the handle...
HTH...
PS...If it was my uncle's combat carried knife, I would keep it as a part of family history... JM.02cents...

Partially incorrect....Not M1... totally different bayonet and hanger system... Some leftover blades have been found built as M4 Carbine bayonets... Same blade part and handle...Just changed the crossguard and the pommel... to attach to the type 3 barrel band lug on the M1/M2 Carbine...
HTH...

Family is going to keep it but was wondering what the current market value would be. I understand that condition is everything. The stories about my uncle's war experiences are just a memory now. He was a good man and would give you the shirt off of his back. Always the first to step in and help. I can only imagine that the war stories were true. He has a Japanese flag that he took off of a dead Jap that his entire squad signed. The story was they were on patrol and bedded down for the night. His good friend and another man were on watch. Apparently his friend fell asleep and 5 Japs came into camp. His friend was killed. He heard the shot and grabbed his rifle firing several times. He killed 3 and 2 ran off. He took the flag off one of the dead soldiers. His squad felt that he had saved many of their lives and signed the flag. He was a proud Marine up until the day he died. We will always remember him that way.
You can't trade memories like that for money.

The only documentation is what was passed by word of mouth. He showed me this knife in the past and said that he used it to kill some Nips with it. He was also interview by the local news paper a few years ago and told them some of his war stories. I don't think that there are any official documents supporting these statements.
Can we still say "nips " ? Old Corps..indeed.

Family is going to keep it but was wondering what the current market value would be. I understand that condition is everything. The stories about my uncle's war experiences are just a memory now. He was a good man and would give you the shirt off of his back. Always the first to step in and help. I can only imagine that the war stories were true. He has a Japanese flag that he took off of a dead Jap that his entire squad signed. The story was they were on patrol and bedded down for the night. His good friend and another man were on watch. Apparently his friend fell asleep and 5 Japs came into camp. His friend was killed. He heard the shot and grabbed his rifle firing several times. He killed 3 and 2 ran off. He took the flag off one of the dead soldiers. His squad felt that he had saved many of their lives and signed the flag. He was a proud Marine up until the day he died. We will always remember him that way.
You can't trade memories like that for money.

And this is why our chain of command used to tell us all the time that sleeping during watch standing will get you shot onsite by your own chain of command while at war.

Back
Top Bottom