• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

USPSA beginner matches

Don't let being a newbie keep you from shooting a match. Just make sure 1) You have a gun that is suitable, along with a holster, mag pouches and enough mags. Don't worry if it's not top level competition stuff to start with. I started with the factory XDM holster and some Blackhawk mag pouches on a carry belt. 2) You don't break the 180, point the gun at anyone, or sweep yourself. 3) You don't get in a hurry to do anything. Take your time making ready, shooting to your current skill level, and re-holstering. Within reason of course. 4) You listen to the RO and range commands, and make sure you follow them. If you are unsure at any point, do nothing and ask for direction. 5) You have enough ammo! Take 200 rounds with you, minimum.

Have fun!!!! Almost everyone there will be super friendly and helpful. So long as you keep a good attitude and stay safe, you'll be welcomed with smiles and helpful advice.

If you happen to get disqualified, take it in stride, and don't let it discourage you from going back.

Tell the other people on your squad that this is your first match and they'll be tripping over each other to help you out.

Shooting your first match is going to be like shooting any other match: simply shoot the target you're engaging as fast as you see an acceptable sight picture, then move to the next target until you're done the stage. That's all.

Stubb Stubb here is also a local USPSA Grand Master and hosts USPSA centric classes at South River Gun Club in Covington. If that's something that tickles your fancy.

Thanks rob. I don’t get to Covington often however, if I’m coming that way for anything I’ll give you a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom