• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

USPSA @ CMP Talladega

Dirty J

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
344   0
Reaction score
Man... was it worth the drive!

I'm new to USPSA and needed some classifier stages in the new PCC division to shoot the GA State match later this year.

I regularly drive 1hr 30mins from Forsyth County to South River Gun Club... so the extra 30 minutes wasn't too concerning. I've been to CMP before... but only for the rifle ranges (which are awesome). The action pistol bays didn't disappoint either! Picking up an hour of time change on the drive meant I didn't have to get up any earlier than for a local match.

Nice, deep bays. Multiple safe areas setup. Nice and flat, with parking areas directly behind the bays (a minor gripe with SRGC).

Talladega Practical Shooters put on a well run, smooth match that finished up well before the rain showers moved in on Saturday afternoon. A quick match meant the hour of time change heading home wasn't too impactful... I was back in Forsyth County by 5pm.

And for the shooting... had a pretty good day. Came in 2nd place in PCC and 13th of 79 shooters overall.

I highly recommend you get over there and check it out, if you're remotely into action pistol matches. Worth the drive.

scorpion.jpg
IMG_9243.JPG
IMG_9250.JPG

Did you have to run unsuppressed? Great job on 2nd place. What was the guy running that came in first?
I was not running suppressed. Generally suppressors are not allowed in shooting sports. Too hard to track your shots with the timer. The CZ was used exactly how you see in the photo above.

Not sure what the winner was shooting... we weren't on the same squad. I would assume he was shooting an AR platform in 9mm. That's what most PCC guys are using.

I was not running suppressed. Generally suppressors are not allowed in shooting sports. Too hard to track your shots with the timer. The CZ was used exactly how you see in the photo above.

Not sure what the winner was shooting... we weren't on the same squad. I would assume he was shooting an AR platform in 9mm. That's what most PCC guys are using.

Right, my question was "Did you have to run unsuppressed?" Just curious because some leagues require you to remove the suppressor, was wondering if USPSA was the same. I would consider driving down if I could run it suppressed.

Edit, nevermind, just saw you edited your original. ;-p

Right, my question was "Did you have to run unsuppressed?" Just curious because some leagues require you to remove the suppressor, was wondering if USPSA was the same. I would consider driving down if I could run it suppressed.

Edit, nevermind, just saw you edited your original. ;-p
USPSA being a bit more organized does not allow suppressed. At all.

If you'd like to run your rifle suppressed... I'd recommend you check out US Arms. They do rifle matches exclusively and are quite open to suppressors. Matches all over the metro and I think they do an outdoor somewhere up in NW Georgia.

https://actionrifle.us/

USPSA being a bit more organized does not allow suppressed. At all.

If you'd like to run your rifle suppressed... I'd recommend you check out US Arms. They do rifle matches exclusively and are quite open to suppressors. Matches all over the metro and I think they do an outdoor somewhere up in NW Georgia.

https://actionrifle.us/

Yeah, I have shot US Arms before and they don't say anything about the suppressor. Was just looking around for other options.

Congrats on the finish!
Thanks. I was pretty pleased. Especially not being that familiar with all the USPSA rules. 100+ page rule book!

Aside from the one PCC guy that beat me... there were 3 Limited shooters ahead of me (2 masters and 1 A class) and the rest were folks shooting open class blasters. I find it's much easier to maneuver a pistol on some of these courses of fire than a rifle. And my added accuracy can't make up for the loss of speed in the gun games.

I was 13.97 seconds slower than the winner of the whole match... but I had 123 "alpha" hits to their 96.

Scoring advantage for the major power factor of Open guns is a huge part of that too!

Back
Top Bottom