• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

VA in Decatur

latch

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
96   0
Reaction score
I am taking my father in AM for hearing appt. No idea what to expect, parking, how long this will take - any experience or tips? Appt is for 10 AM should I park and take shuttle or cab?
thanks in advance

I am taking my father in AM for hearing appt. No idea what to expect, parking, how long this will take - any experience or tips? Appt is for 10 AM should I park and take shuttle or cab?
thanks in advance

Are you going to the VA at Clariemont Rd or the Deactur clinic 250 N.Arcade rd? I have been to both places all week! If, your going to the Main Clinic on Clariemont depending on your dad's appt time, there will not be any parking at Clariemont but you can take a shuttle that is free. Dont, forget your VA CARD and to file for mileage reimbursement. Good Luck, they hate me I write them up every time I go to Clariemont rd, they over book appointments and expect you to wait 2-3 , without complaining.

Are you going to the VA at Clariemont Rd or the Deactur clinic 250 N.Arcade rd? I have been to both places all week! If, your going to the Main Clinic on Clariemont depending on your dad's appt time, there will not be any parking at Clariemont but you can take a shuttle that is free. Dont, forget your VA CARD and to file for mileage reimbursement. Good Luck, they hate me I write them up every time I go to Clariemont rd, they over book appointments and expect you to wait 2-3 , without complaining.
Thanks

While the VA may be worse than most hospitals, they all have a common failing: Administrative Support Staff.
Paperwork and scheduling are among the most frustrating! I personally know one of the audiologists there and can state that they are a well-trained and experienced professional. That said, the VA's rules on what they can / can't do may present problems for some of our veterans!

Thanks for the info. my first time - dad is 86 and he has always told me the professionals are great and the admin staff is not. We parked on Briarcliff and shuttled- He got a little winded from the walk but they saw that and got him a wheel chair. Waited only a couple minutes for Audiologists - she was very prof, patient and helpful - easy on the eyes also. She ordered him a box for the TV that will send signal to his aides.

thanks again for the info

Just came back from there. Parking is atrocious always.
The medical people themselves are usually ok but the desk jockeys are a pain to deal with and have no concept of how to treat patients or the value of other people's time.
Of course they're in a union so you would expect no less.
I always try to schedule my appointments to be first in the mornings because they immediately start backing up.
You have to get up at a ridiculous time in the morning to get there that early but it's worth it to get In and get out.

My vet BIL was diagnosed with ALS and he has been declining RAPIDLY. The VA is dreadfully slow, and they literally can't keep pace. My wife and I are having to take care of him 5 days a week since he can barely get around with a walker. He is "eligible" for alot of care, but the process to get access is so slow that he outpaces everything they try and do. It is truly pathetic. So far:

Promises to help, then no return calls
Broken appointments from contractors with no call
Wait weeks to months to get appointments to see Dr's
3 Separate evaluations for 3 different services
Each evaluation takes weeks to schedule, then weeks to get the reports entered, then weeks to fulfill, then he has declined beyond that need by the time they are ready to fulfill the service.

He will be in hospice by the time they get a few hours of home health care approved.

I go to the Valet parking in the front. If he needs a wheel chair they have them right there. I average going about 8 times a year there, and 3 at Arcadia. Ps don't as stated before, forget to fill out your mileage voucher. You can do that while checking in on their computers with your VA Id, it scans them.

My vet BIL was diagnosed with ALS and he has been declining RAPIDLY. The VA is dreadfully slow, and they literally can't keep pace. My wife and I are having to take care of him 5 days a week since he can barely get around with a walker. He is "eligible" for alot of care, but the process to get access is so slow that he outpaces everything they try and do. It is truly pathetic. So far:

Promises to help, then no return calls
Broken appointments from contractors with no call
Wait weeks to months to get appointments to see Dr's
3 Separate evaluations for 3 different services
Each evaluation takes weeks to schedule, then weeks to get the reports entered, then weeks to fulfill, then he has declined beyond that need by the time they are ready to fulfill the service.

He will be in hospice by the time they get a few hours of home health care approved.

FWIW:
Have you written and called Isackson's office?
He sits on that committee and seems to care ...

Back
Top Bottom