• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vacation items for preppers

Iron Outlaw

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
1   0
Reaction score
I'm completely new to the prepping scene. I've been looking at bags to keep in my truck for a get home bag. I'm still learning the terms and tools needed. I'm not (too) paranoid, but want to be able to respond and keep my family safe during an emergency.
I have a fear of something happening when we are on vacation/ out of town. We go to Daytona every year for the 4th of July and with the dense crowd and cars lined up on the beach, I always tell my wife it's a great place to be attacked.

What should I bring with me to get me home if something did happen? I want to put together a bag with basics but honestly I'm not sure where to start.
I bring my carry weapon and one extra mag but should I bring a rifle? Do most of you guys?

Try a little common sense. Don't plan on zombie hordes. You don't need to pack enough gasoline to go all the way there and get back. For a trip like that, enough food supplies to last there and back. Basic hand tools in case of mechanical breakdown. All the self defense stuff you usually carry plus an extra box of ammo. If you keep a long gun in your vehicle, an extra box of ammo wouldn't hurt.

Remember whatever you leave in your vehicle can be absconded if y'all go to dizzyworld. You might say, "but I lock everything up in a safe". That don't mean **** when they tow your **** away.

There is 'be prepared' and then there is straight up dumb a** overkill.

If I'm driving I like to take whatever I need to walk home. My carry pistol and an ar pistol with ammo. I always keep an emergency vehicle bag containing things that will help me keep my car running. Extra gas. I take my bug out bag. A couple of my homemade mre's. A good reserve of emergency cash. That kind of thing.

What to put in your bug out bag (bob) is a long list. Water filter, purtabs, ammo, socks(good ones and extra), underwear, foot powder, ibuprofen, moleskin, antidiareal otc, water container you can boil water in, a poncho, cordage, in FL I'd want a hammock to keep off the ground, bug spray, suntan lotion and chapstick. Some food and reserve cash. Those are basics and you can adjust to your skill level and situation. Maybe a small wind up weather radio. Head lamp. Batteries. Solar charge battery bank for cell. Gloves. Shooting glasses with tinted and clear lenses. A good knife. A few bic lighters (not cheap ones that break). The list can get long. Just depends on you.

My vehicle bag has a large assortment of things. Fuel transfer pump, fix a flat, tire patch kit, tarp, flashlights, spark plugs, duct tape, electrical tape, assorted tools, extra fluids, etc. Also more medical stuff and an extra pair of boots + socks and foot powder, etc.

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot off this list but that what comes to mind immediately.

This ^^^

If you are thinking a complete collapse while you are away, then you will need the basics to get home. Hiking clothes, camping gear, water purification, emergency rations, self-protection firearm, etc. However the odds of having that type of instant, telegraphed situation arise has to be really, really slim. If things were looking that bad I'm guessing vacation would be cancelled.

I prep my truck with a get-home bag that I can use to walk the 12 or so miles home if suddenly Atlanta shuts down. It does have all the stuff I listed above, but essentially 24 hours worth, not a week long treks worth. It all fits in a full-size 'soft' backpack and anything I don't use would stay in the truck. For example I have winter clothes, jackets, gloves and socks in there year round, but obviously if it's July they get left behind.

This ^^^

If you are thinking a complete collapse while you are away, then you will need the basics to get home. Hiking clothes, camping gear, water purification, emergency rations, self-protection firearm, etc. However the odds of having that type of instant, telegraphed situation arise has to be really, really slim. If things were looking that bad I'm guessing vacation would be cancelled.

I prep my truck with a get-home bag that I can use to walk the 12 or so miles home if suddenly Atlanta shuts down. It does have all the stuff I listed above, but essentially 24 hours worth, not a week long treks worth. It all fits in a full-size 'soft' backpack and anything I don't use would stay in the truck. For example I have winter clothes, jackets, gloves and socks in there year round, but obviously if it's July they get left behind.

Yeah, everything I keep with me is season dependent. I change out items a couple times a year depending on season. I make sure everything can fit in one backpack per person and my vehicle bag which has wheels and can be dragged. Always keep in mind your most likely emergency is a breakdown that will make you take your stuff with you while your car is towed to be fixed somewhere and you wont want to leave all your crap in it. Stay mobile with your important items. 2 smallish backpacks, a rolling vehicle bag, and 2 smallish rolling travel luggage for normal vacation packing is the upper limit of what 2 people can move from the car without it being a giant pain in the butt.

Back
Top Bottom